Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pentax Digital Spotmeter prices

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Pentax Digital Spotmeter prices

Whoa! I thought I got top dollar for my Pentax Digital Spotmeter last month when it bought $430.00 on eBay. This one just sold (no case, IB, or holster) on eBay for $605.00. Both of them were not Zone VI modified, but had the zone dial affixed to them. What in the world is going on? Was there a recent thread singing it's praises perhaps?

DG

Re: Pentax Digital Spotmeter prices

Quote Originally Posted by David G. Gagnon
    Whoa! I thought I got top dollar for my Pentax Digital Spotmeter last month when it bought $430.00 on eBay. This one just sold (no case, IB, or holster) on eBay for $605.00. Both of them were not Zone VI modified, but had the zone dial affixed to them. What in the world is going on? Was there a recent thread singing it's praises perhaps?

DG
    David,

It's called the "marketplace" and buyers who are willing to pay whatever it takes to get the item they want.

The next one could possible go for $100........ or $1,000!

That's just the way the auction ball bounces!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Certainly prices can bounce around but the weird thing about this one is that the winning bid was about $130 or roughly 30% over the new price. 30% is a lot even for ebay. You'd think someone sufficiently sophisticated to be buying a spot meter would know how to find out what they sell for new. I wonder if the winning bidder maybe thought that the Zone VI sticker meant that it had been modified by Zone VI.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

The other jaw dropper I saw was a Fujinon 250mm f/6.7 lens that sold for $810, at least $200 over market price. 6 hours later, another Fuji 250mm f/6.7 didn't even sell at $280 (reserve not met). I guess all it takes is two determined people who really want to win an auction.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis
    Certainly prices can bounce around but the weird thing about this one is that the winning bid was about $130 or roughly 30% over the new price. 30% is a lot even for ebay. You'd think someone sufficiently sophisticated to be buying a spot meter would know how to find out what they sell for new. I wonder if the winning bidder maybe thought that the Zone VI sticker meant that it had been modified by Zone VI.
    Brian,

LOL... You're absolutely correct... these meters go (BNIB) for $449.00 at Badger and Midwest!

Again, for some reason, people think that these kinds of items will NEVER show up again and they bid like crazy! The funny thing is... if only they would do a bit of due diligence and check prices before they hit the "enter" key! It's always worth a chuckle!

Kind of makes you wonder about the auction mentality, doesn't it?

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

The new prices for this meter vary a lot around the world. In Germany, Calumet and Monochrome are selling this meter for around $1,000! You get it for less than half in other parts of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis
    "... the winning bid was about $130 or roughly 30% over the new price... You'd think someone sufficiently sophisticated to be buying a spot meter would know how to find out what they sell for new..."
    One person would be bad enough. But if it sold for that much over the new price, then there were at least two people involved... in a bidding war. Ha!

Heck I can get them new in Tokyo for about $375.00. I think the auction mentality sometimes, gets to people and they feel that the MUST have something.

gary

Like the used Toyo Loupe that I sold for $85 when mpex has them for $40. I felt so bad I shipped it for free. And seriously condsidered ordering a case of loupes...

If the used gear market seems crazy now, consider what would happen if used photo equipment were added to the "futures" market. Or, worse yet, if the major sellers of used photo equipment formed a consortium - UPEC (Used Photo Equipment Consortium), to regulate availability.