Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SunPosition calculations online

SunPosition calculations online

You guys should find this useful...

There is an online version of SunPosition software for calculating sunrise, sunset, shadow factor and plots the suns position throughout the day at 15 minute intervals. Options for making calculations using true or magnetic north, also compensates for GMT offset and DST.

SunPosition http://www.sunposition.net/

Members get access to over 48,400 worldwide locations at the time of this post, non members have access to 8,000 locations. Members can print out a graph and sun path professionally formatted to an A4 page and add locations to their own favourites menu along with the capabilities of creating their own personal locations, all this starts at US$18 per year for a single user license (15 euros).

No need to pay for upgrades or different versions for different computers, users can log in from any computer anywhere in the world as long as it has an internet connection and a browser. Locations are added continually so the database keeps growing, need a location thats not listed? just let the people know at SunPosition know and it will be added for you if you don't want to add it yourself.

A example SunPosition printer friendly formatted page that all members get access to can be seen by non members by selecting the location: Europe / Spain / MADRID (M) then after making the calculation for this location press the 'Printer friendly' button.

This really is a great online application that was created for Photographers, DoP's, Directors, Engineers etc. it is probably the most accurate sun positioning software you will find anywhere.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Re: SunPosition calculations online

Worked fine for Madrid, but hangs when I try calculating for Kirkenes, Norway. Maybe it has a problem with midnight sun? And why isn't the second largest city in Norway in the list, while lots of insignificant little places close to the capital are?

I think I'll stick with the free astronomical services, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Tjugen View Post
    Worked fine for Madrid, but hangs when I try calculating for Kirkenes, Norway.
    Strange that no-one else has reported any hangs! maybe you have a problem with your browser?

The graph for that location shows the result but it is offset towards the bottom of the graph because of the suns location in that area. Mind you, looking at the calculation the suns position isn't really going to help much with your photography at the moment at that location!

And why isn't the second largest city in Norway in the list, while lots of insignificant little places close to the capital are!
    Maybe you haven't read this bit... members get access to over 48,000 locations while non members get access to just under 8,000.

I think I'll stick with the free astronomical services, thank you.
    No worries, everyone is free to use whatever they need or like to use. Many photographers ' and others' find SunPosition very useful for their needs, if you don't then that is up to you.

Cheers

I agree with Ole. I will stick with Jeff Conrad's free calculator at
    www.largeformatphotography.info/sunmooncalc/
    It doesn't provide a graph nor does it correct azimuth for magnetic north. But I don't need the graph, nor do I need to use a compass. It does allow me to choose Chicago, Illinois without having to pay for it. If I want the answer more accurately for my location just north of Chicago, I can specify my latitude and longitude.

By the way, I'm sure there is a free calculator out there somewhere which also produces a graph.

I doubt strongly that typical frequenters of this website will be convinced of the value of this tool.

Hey, you have Joyce WA on the list! Very cool. Not that the suns breaks through much this time of year... Stilll, could come in very handy, many thanks. I put it next the tide tables in my bookmarks.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sunposition View Post
    The graph for that location shows the result but it is offset towards the bottom of the graph because of the suns location in that area. Mind you, looking at the calculation the suns position isn't really going to help much with your photography at the moment at that location!
    First of all, note the five month offset between my post and your reply. There is plenty of sun in Kirkenes in July - thery have midnight sun up there, so it can be quite useful knowing where the sun will be at ALL times of the day.

And while the sun doesn't come up at all this time of the year, there is still enough light for photography.

Maybe you haven't read this bit... members get access to over 48,000 locations while non members get access to just under 8,000.
    I did read that part - I was just wondering about a selection process which includes some places so small I've never heard of them among the 8,000?

Compare the coordinates for Oslo, Grorud and Nydalen, Ljan, and Røa - they are close enough that any differences are insignificant, especially considering the geographic spread of the rest of Norway! "Roa" is a different place, "Røa" should be spelled "Roea" if you can't use the correct letters.

"Valand" is placed in a part of Stavanger city, close to Hillevåg. I have no idea where you found that name? I assume "Lambergsaeter" is supposed to be Lambertseter, but the position given is Skullerud? "Bratan" I have no idea of, but the location is on the outskirts of Drammen. "Folkvang" also draws a blank, it seems to be in a forest near Porsgrunn.

So it still doesn't inspire me to spend money, even if I didn't have any problems with Kirkenes this time - nor when doing the calculations for July 20th.
    Last edited by Ole Tjugen; 25-Dec-2007 at 09:03. Reason: Addendumdum

Crap, so it is actually true that the sun is still 11 degress under the horizon at noon. Not good lighting conditions for photography
    Best regards,
    Eirik Berger

I did read that part - I was just wondering about a selection process which includes some places so small I've never heard of them among the 8,000?
    There are places I have never heard of also, the names are from the sites mentioned below or entered by other users who film, shoot or work at those locations.

Compare the coordinates for Oslo, Grorud and Nydalen, Ljan, and Røa - they are close enough that any differences are insignificant, especially considering the geographic spread of the rest of Norway! "Roa" is a different place, "Røa" should be spelled "Roea" if you can't use the correct letters.

"Valand" is placed in a part of Stavanger city, close to Hillevåg. I have no idea where you found that name? I assume "Lambergsaeter" is supposed to be Lambertseter, but the position given is Skullerud? "Bratan" I have no idea of, but the location is on the outskirts of Drammen. "Folkvang" also draws a blank, it seems to be in a forest near Porsgrunn.
    The base database of 47,000 was started from files of over 6 million locations, these where filtered through scripts a few hundred times to try and remove non populated places and most non desired places, the names are all part of the database information supplied by:
    http://www.nga.mil/portal/site/nga01/
    and
    http://geonames.usgs.gov/
    so that is where they come from. It is a fairly major process of filtering 6 million down to 47,000 and still keeping 90% of the locations as populated places! the other 1,000 odd where added by hand or by members as mentioned above.

So it still doesn't inspire me to spend money, even if I didn't have any problems with Kirkenes this time - nor when doing the calculations for July 20th
    Ole, as I mention before, everyone is free to use whatever they need or like to use. Many photographers ' and others' find SunPosition very useful for their needs and that is why it is mentioned here, if you don't then that is up to you.

Leonard [Evens], I think it is not good to look at things from inside a box, just because some people may find they may not need something for their needs doesn't mean to say that others don't or won't have wider needs

Enjoy your day.

I stick with what I said. I don't think many LF photographers would find it worthwhile paying for this software when there are other free alternatives, such as Jeff Conrad's calculator, available at lfphoto.info, which are as well suited or better for their needs.

I also still don't see why you left Chicago, Illinois out of the list of sites available for free. After all, it is hardly a small uninteresting city where few people live. I bet many other important locations were also omitted.

Toronto, Canada
    Regards
    Bill