Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 16 1/2 Gundlach Achromatic Meniscus Portrait lens

16 1/2 Gundlach Achromatic Meniscus Portrait lens

Can any of the 'Usual Suspect's' give me any info on the Gundlach Achromatic Meniscus portrait lens? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've had advice that it's a 'doublet', the way it's been explained to me is that it's 'doublet' construction is more corrected than a meniscus lens but still very soft.

Also, how similar/different is the this Gundlach lens to the P&S semi-achromat?
    Jonathan Brewer

www.imageandartifact.bz

Re: 16 1/2 Gundlach Achromatic Meniscus Portrait lens

And who, may I ask, do you count as the 'usual supects'?

A quick dive into the LVM - not necessarily trustworthy - gives me this:
    "Gundlach Portrait Lenses.
    Achromatic Meniscus f6.0 5.25, 7.5, 10, 13.5, 15, 16.25 or 16.5, 18in, the first 4 sizes being absent in some lists. It is suggested to use 15in for 10x8in. This may be the oldest of the portrait line."
    Yours will cover 8x10, is that enough?

Despite the way I phrased my initial query, I do welcome any info from anybody, there are some folks who've researched these lenses far more than I have and I refered to them as the 'Usual Suspects' in a complementary way(they know their stuff).

I got this lens from researching it on the 'Cameraeccentric' website and perusing the Gundlach catalogs, one suspicion of mine(although it may be wishful thinking), is that the lens might be similar in construcion/it's soft focus effect as the P&S semi-achromat, and even if it isn't, I was intrigued by the prospect of experimenting w/the thing.

I understand from the Cameraeccentric catalog that it covers 8x10, although I'll be using it for both 4x5 and 8x10. I won't be holding my breath for a P&S semi-achromat, and I figure if one ever comes up on the market, the price would be breathtaking, so the Gundlach was 'gettable', and I keep saying to myself.......'just maybe'.
    Jonathan Brewer

www.imageandartifact.bz

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Brewer
    Despite the way I phrased my initial query, I do welcome any info from anybody, there are some folks who've researched these lenses far more than I have and I refered to them as the 'Usual Suspects' in a complementary way(they know their stuff).
    Jonathan, I took no offense to your words. Just wondering who you counted in. As it happens, The Usual Suspects is one of my favorite movies!

Kayser Sose

I'd say that these folks in no particular order would include among others, Jim Galli, a guy everybody should pay not to mention his latest $20.00 lens until we get 'em first, Jason greenberg Motamedi, Ernest Purdum, Ted Harris, and some others.

The 'Treasure of Sierra Madre' was one of my favorites.

Fred C. Dobbs
    Jonathan Brewer

www.imageandartifact.bz

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

I think it's more similar to an Imagon, although without the strainer disks. IOW it gets sharper as it's stopped down, soft and dreamy at full aperture.

Hi Jonathan. It sounds like it's the same as the Kodak Portrait lens. A single doublet behind an iris. Very soft and round wide open and gets sharper closed down. My Bausch & Lomb 18" Plastigmat and my 15" Spencer Portland work like that.

Hey thanks U guys for the info, from the picture of the lens, it looks like a 'doublet' in front of the lens iris(barrel lens), I got a question, looking at the P&S cataglogs, the Semi Achromat came in a single meniscus, and a version w/a doublet, so would the Gundlach be similar?

Hey Jim,..................would the two lenses you have compare w/the Gundlach lens and/or the P&S semi-achormat(the doublet)? Also, if you have any images from those lenses, I'd of course love to check em out.
    Jonathan Brewer

www.imageandartifact.bz

Let me clarify some on what I'm asking, from cameraeccentric in the lens catalog section, I went to both the Gundlach and P&S catalogs, according to the P&S catalogs, they made 2 lenses, one was a single element meniscus lens, the other was a boublet, P&S calls this doublet lens a 'semi-achromat', Gundlack calls their 'doublet' achromatic, is the term 'semi-achromatic' more ad hype than accurate regarding what the lens is?

If these two lenses are both meniscus 'doublets', how could they be the same/different(let me know if I'm mis-stating this proposition)?
    Jonathan Brewer

www.imageandartifact.bz