Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This is crazy already ('old' lens prices)

This is crazy already ('old' lens prices)

All,
    For the last couple of months, I've been on the old brass lens hunt. During this time, I've read most likely EVERY post on the subject to be found on this site, APUG, and perhaps the rest of the english and german speaking internet. ALL of these places say that these magic lantern lenses, these unknown brass beasts, these unmarked oddities go for pennies to $30 or so dollars....Heh, right...
    In the last week, I've been outbid on 5 auctions for these sort of things. All of these lenses went for $70+. Granted, if I had the money, I wouldn't be complaining....But I just find it hard to pay more than that for a lens I haven't seen, or a lens that might not actually be what I want. Furthermore, with the costs of shipping (some of these lenses were in the UK), it would place the item well over $100.
    Perhaps Im cheap ? Naw, Im just poor.
    So, can we PLEASE get the word out that old lenses are TRASH ? They should just be melted down into battery cases for digi cams ?

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Re: This is crazy already ('old' lens prices)

All you have to do is find an unknown lens by a known maker. I did that, and got a Ross Cabinet No.2 for $69 plus postage (OK that was a lot. But the lens is heavy, and I'm in Norway, the seller was in the US). Surprise: It's a Petzval, 14" focal length! No wonder it's heavy - f:3.5 14" anything is bound to be heavy!

Of course it's trash. Even if it's working perfectly, Iris aperture smooth with well defined click stops, glass pristine - like brand new - it's still trash.
    It was made for "cabinet cards", but there are precious few 5x7" or half-plate cameras capable of handling a 6 lb lens without a shutter. A pro pos shutter: A Packard shutter with a full opening about the size of that lens is bigger than a 5x7" sheet film holder. Just about the only possibility is an old German Plate camera - for 24x30cm for extra rigidity, but with reducing plate inserts in the plate holder; and shooting in low light.

As I said, trash.

An item is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. These buyers believe the lenses are worth more than you do.

I've been outbid well over my possible budget for lenses.

I'm using 2 Wray 4.5inch enlarger lenses at £8 a piece, a Ross 8.5inch I picked up for £30, and now a 'broken' Doppel-Anastigmat Dagor 180mm my grandad gave me.

People are getting wind of the bargains, which is unfortunate.

try keeping an eye on the apug classified's - I've seen these things go for $35.00 up to $85+
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

It's not just the lenses, Tim. I've not been able to get hardly anything that I wanted for the last three months, even though I always bid quite respectible prices near the end of the auctions. Some people are bidding totally CRAZY prices, and of course they use one of those services that puts in a bid during the last few seconds (sometimes it's several bidders). And more than once, I think there has been skullduggery going on with the seller.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

There happens to be one lens on there now. Its a Wollie Soft focus, $10 starting bid. In the auction, the buyer states that you 'must email me' prior to placing a bid. I did so, and I received an email stating that if I were "ready to purchase, the buy-it-now price is $1400". I wasn't ready, so I bid $20. about 4 hours before the auction closed, the seller ended the auction early - no reason given.
    It is back up for auction again today. This time, I lodged a complaint; we'll see what happens.

That's against ebay policies, unless there was a reserve

Steve, I'm surprised that you believe people when they tell you how much (or little) they paid. This for two reasons. We all, like anglers, lie. And the really great steals are very very scarce.

For example, not that long ago I bought a 135/5.6 Symmar (jes' plain Symmar, i.e., convertible) in barrel for $32 delivered. That's way below the going rate and was when I snagged it. No lie, man! You can't match that, and neither can I.

Cheers,

Dan

You may have better luck using a bid snipe, such as Auction Sniper.