Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doppel-Anastigmat

Doppel-Anastigmat

Just got given this by my grandad. He's never had a use for it, but it's been on a shelf for the better half of 40 years.

Lens mount: C P GOERZ - BERLIN

F=180mm f/6-64

It's got minty optics and aperture is fine, but the focusing ring is broken, and mechanism totally frozen.

Any ideas how to sort this? It's not essential since I'm using it on my bellows system.

Does anybody rate this lens? any other info you could give me?

Thanks

Re: Doppel-Anastigmat

Ash,
    again you prove to be a lucky b*st*rd. Not everyone has a granddad throwing dagor's in their lap. Per your lens: do a google for dagor and you'll be busy doing your homework for another week.

Perhaps you could be clearer about what ails your lens. I don't know what you mean by 'focusing ring is broken'. Is it in a barrel or in a shutter? Does the iris open and close smoothly? And what 'mechanism' is broken?
    For repairs in the US there are Grimes and Flutot, for repairs in the UK I cannot advise you anyone. Maybe someone else will.
    Ta,
    Norm

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Could be gold, could be a dog.

Is there a "Serie something" on it? Serie III is the Dagor, Serie Ic is a Celor, Serie Id is a Syntor, and I can't remember which is the Dogmar...

Serie III/2. There's a focus ring, and what looks like there should have been a tab that would move such a focusing system..

The aperture iris is perfectly fine.

And yes, I'm a cheeky bugger getting this stuff for nothing

large file - http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43...d/DSC00039.jpg

There's the damage.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

That's a Dagor. Congratulations!

I've got one of those too, BTW...

Good lens then? I was told it was good, and might be worth something if it wasnt broken
    Last edited by Ash; 19-Jul-2006 at 12:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash
    Good lens then? I was told it was good, and might be worth something if it wasnt broken
    It doesn't matter much what is worth on the market, what matters is what it is worth to you. Looks like serious damage to the helical focussing mount, brittle alloy probably. I have no idea really about dagors, owning none, but I would start thinking about salvageing the lens elements, or sending it off for a rather pricey rescue operation by the Grimes people.

On second thought: you could always unscrew the whole thing from the wooden board and attach it to a new lensboard that fits your camera and use a packard shutter, a thornton pickard shutter, a sinar shutter or a Luc shutter. Then you wouldn't need the helical focussing mount.

Or unscrew the lens elements, measure the threads and try to figure out if they fit in some known shutter. Take care in preserving the right spacing between the lens elements!

Third option: send the whole thing to us as a gift for giving such excellent advice....
    Last edited by medform-norm; 19-Jul-2006 at 15:08.

Umm I think there's a bit of misunderstanding. The ring that's broken is *not* the aperture ring. by moving the top brass part of the barrel I can change aperture smoothly and without stops between.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash
    Umm I think there's a bit of misunderstanding. The ring that's broken is *not* the aperture ring. by moving the top brass part of the barrel I can change aperture smoothly and without stops between.
    Ash, if you reread my post, you can see I corrected my mistake (English is still not my mother tongue, not even after so many years, and sometimes the wrong word pops in.)

Ah yes sorry, I didnt see your edit.

Heh, I like your thinking, but sorry the lens stays with me

I'll be removing the wooden lens mount, and using the metal screw thread on a new mounting plate/board for use on my camera. I'll look into those shutters however. It's not worth my while to fix the helical focussing in all honesty. Too costly.