Thread: Foba, FLM, Studioball, Kaiser, Feisol...ballheads

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Foba, FLM, Studioball, Kaiser, Feisol...ballheads

A good amount of users on this forum give high praise to the brands like Kirk, RRS, Acratech, Acra Swiss and Markins, I found that the price of the products from these brands are over my range. I love Bogen/Manfrotto's pan/tilt head, but the experience I have from its ballhead - 486RC2 is pretty disappointing. Gitzo makes great tripod of course, but I haven't heard that many praise of its ballhead. There are couple other brands on B&H with products in my affordable range:

No quick release
    -FLM Centerball 38 FT - Ballhead with 38mm Ball Diameter, with Friction Control and Tilt Function (PTF) - Supports 22 lb (10 kg) $169.95
    -Studioball Miniball with Reversible 1/4"-20 or 3/8"-16 Screw - Supports 15.00 lb (6.80 kg) Miniball with Reversible 1/4"-3/8" $199.95
    -Kaiser Pro Ballhead Medium with Independent Panning Lock - Supports 18 lb (8.2 kg) $209.95
    -Gitzo G-1377M Magnesium Center Ballhead #3 with Independent Panning Lock - Supports 17.50 lb (8 kg) $210.95
    -Foba Superball M-1 Ballhead - Supports 18 lb (8.16 kg) $156.95
    -Foba Mini Superball Ballhead - Supports 15.00 lb (6.80 kg) $234.95

With quick release
    -Foba Superball M-1 Ballhead with Quick Release (Requires Plate) - Supports 18 lb (8.1 kg) $199.5
    -Feisol CB-50H with Quick Release (Requires Plate) - Supports 41 lb (19kg) $159
    -Studioball Miniball Ballhead (Quick Release) - Supports 15.00 lb (6.80 kg) $239.95

Foba is made in Switzerland, FLM/Kaiser/Studioball are made in Germany, Gitzo from France with accent, and Feisol is a new Taiwanese company which design and manufacture their own product.
    I own an Omega 4x5, which weights around 8.5lb, I do not intend to use 8x10 in the long run. So my maximum load is less than 13lbs for sure. I will use the ballhead under 30F degree (less than 0C degree)though, which may be a common problem for ballheads.
    I am open to comments from those who own any of the ballhead above. I appreciate the enthusiasm of the proud, happy, and satisfied Kirk/RSS/Acratech/Acra Swiss/Markins owners, but at this moment I ruled out these brands.
    Last edited by 400d; 18-Jul-2006 at 20:22.