Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quick Survey: Photo Magazines

Quick Survey: Photo Magazines

Dear List,

Besides the obvious candidates (i.e. View Camera, Camera Arts, LensWork, PDN, B&W) what other magazines do people here either read or subscribe to?

(bet there aren't many Popular Photography readers on this forum!)

J Michael Sullivan

Re: Quick Survey: Photo Magazines

I subscribe to National Geographic and Smithsonian that I not only enjoy for the pictures, but the stories.

I also subscribe to a bunch of audio magazines, but that's because I work in audio professionally.
    Mike Boden

www.mikeboden.com
    Instagram: @mikebodenphoto

Picture, CommArts, I.D., Graphis, Plaza, Dwell, WallPaper*, RangeFinder, The Big Picture, CITY, InterSection, CLEAR, Lürzer's Archive, cmyk, LFI (Leica Fotographie International), Leica World, Surface, PhotoLife, Reponses Photo, and The Daily. Basically, all those I have four or more copies, or continue to keep buying. I also browse numerous magazines when I am at Border's Books or Barnes & Noble.

Quite likely I missed a few others that I read or have kept copies as reference issues of images. Some of those would be various architectural magazines, or some automotive publications with outstanding photography (like Octane), and a few lifestyle magazines with great portrait work (BlackBook, HOBO, et al). I feel it is important to get away from the gear magazines a bit; especially some that seem like they would better belong in the computer area of the newsstand. Good photography largely draws me to magazines, but good writing keeps me with them.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio
    <http://www.allgstudio.com>

Outdoor Photography (published in the UK)
    Natures Best Photography
    Photography Monthly (published in the UK)

View Camera, lots of interesting information.

Lenswork, lots of interesting photos.

Zoom. Photo Review.

I used to look at those, at least. I not as interested in "photo magazines" as I was some years ago.

--Darin

I quit buying them years ago. No imformation I find practical for a bottom feeding hobbyist, just ads and reviews of the newest high tech stuff I can't afford. Magazines just aren't the same as they once were. They used to actually tell you how to do and make things you could use. I wonder what ever happened to that concept.

Like Mike I also subscribe to NG & Smithsonian not just for the photography but also the stories.

I also have subscribed for years to Invention & Technology which has very good stories as well as some great early photography. It's a quarterly publication.

Being an auto enthusiast I also buy Octane which has some great stories & photography as well - not the usual car mag.

I subscribe to LensWork, Shutterbug, View Camera, and Photo Techniques but I don't read them avidly any more. The only reason I subscribe to Shutterbug is to keep up to date on the new digital stuff, most of the other editorial content is irrelevant to me since it's geared to wedding, portrait, etc. photographers. I've not been real thrilled with Photo Techniques lately. They're staddling both digital and darkroom and since I no longer do darkroom work about half the magazine is useless right off the bat and what's left often isn't all that great. I dropped B&W, there seemed to be too much of the same stuff issue after issue. I'm like Darin, I don't take the same interest in photo magazines as I used to and probably will dispense with all but one or two next year. I think the internet has to a large extent replaced (and in some ways bettered) magazines as a source of photography information.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.