Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Query for Deardorff 8x10 Users...

Re: A Query for Deardorff 8x10 Users...

Quote Originally Posted by Capocheny
    I was wondering how many shooters on this forum use a Deardorff 8x10 and... do you store a lens inside the camera?
    Yes, I use an 8x10 Deardorff, but have never stored a lens in it. Never saw the need to.

Quote Originally Posted by Capocheny
    Secondly, do you also use a reducing back? 5x7 or 4x5 or both?
    I have a 4x5 back and use it quite a bit, especially with Type 55 Polaroid. Someday I will get a 5x7 back also. For me, its a great convenience to have just one camera that's so multi-talented.
    Last edited by Alex Hawley; 13-Jul-2006 at 12:23.

Capocheny,

Congratulations on your new V8!

I've never considered carrying or storing it with a lens mounted, I don't think it would be a very good idea unless it is a tiny lens that could be reversed ( or is on a recessed board ) to allow the camera to fold as if the lens wasn't there.

When I am shooting from the car, I always bring the 4x5 back in case I see a 4x5 + long lens shot. An advantage of 4x5/5x7 backs on 8x10 is less bellows flare.

For my uses, the V8 is the ideal 8x10. Mine was made in late'50 or early '51 and was refinished in '89. It has the original leather bellows and is probably good for another 56 years. FYI my two most-used lenses are 240 and 355, with 300 a bit behind for third.
    I don't mind having a bit of history on top of the tripod, either.

I wish you the best of photographic experiences with your V8.

After rereading some of the posts I think I might have confused some people.

I'm not aware of any shuttered lens that can fit when properly mounted on a folded 8x10 'dorff---at least any lens that I own.

What you have to do is reverse the lensboard so the front element is pointing at the gg and the rear element would be (when the camera is folded) pointing at the bed.

When setting up, simple unfold the camera, reverse the lensboard so the lens is facing the proper position, attach the cable release and you're 'there.' One less rummage through the back pack.

My apologies if I confused anyone!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh
    Capocheny,

Congratulations on your new V8!

Mine was made in late'50 or early '51 and was refinished in '89. It has the original leather bellows and is probably good for another 56 years. FYI my two most-used lenses are 240 and 355, with 300 a bit behind for third.

I wish you the best of photographic experiences with your V8.

Hello E,

Thank you.

Mine was built in 1954 and was restored by a physician in the late 80's. It's in great condition. And, the bellows is in beautiful condition as well.

What 240 are you using with your camera?

I've just picked up a 19" Red Dot Artar, a 240 G-Claron, and a 300 Apo Ronar. The 19" RDA is being mounted into a Copal 3 at present. The 240 will get mounted into a Copal 1 and I've not decided whether I'll be keeping the 300 or not. I've also got a 240 Nikkor f5.6 that's beautiful for 5x7 but I think it may be of limited use on 8x10. I also have a 360 Symmar-S f6.8 that's a HUGE chunk of glass.

So many cameras, so many lenses... and so little time!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

H.D.C.

I have used a Deardorff for a few years with lenses from 130mm to 480mm, mostly Dagor and Artar lenses. I have a 24" RD Artar and have only used it two or three times on it. I use a Linhof viewfinder to compose and determine what lens to use, so I never store a lens inside the camera.

I have a 5x7 reducing back, but rarely use it for I seem to be able to get 8x10 films cheaper than 5x7 ones.

Good luck with your Deardorff. I love mine.

Hugo

Capocheny,

My 240 is actually a 9.5" Goerz NY Dagor, ca 1911 mounted in a Compound and originally owned by Wm H Pfister of Cincinnati (he engraved his name inside the shutter , was an instrument maker).

A nice little lens that give ample movement for landscapes.

Hi Hugo,

I didn't think the Dorff 8x10 had enough bellows length to work with the 24" RD Artar. I just picked up a 19" that is being remounted into a Copal 3.

What is the 130 you use with your Dorff?

Thanks.

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the info on the 240...

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

H.D.C...

Deardorff comes with a bellow of 30" which allows the use of a 24" lnes. The 130mm lens I use is a Rodenstock Weitwinkel Perigon. Here is the link:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...hlight=perigon

Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang
    H.D.C...

Deardorff comes with a bellow of 30" which allows the use of a 24" lnes. The 130mm lens I use is a Rodenstock Weitwinkel Perigon. Here is the link:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...hlight=perigon

Hugo

Hello Hugo,

Thank you for the info and the link... will have to locate one of those beauties for my camera!

Where did you locate the Perigon?

And, I'll resolve to get my butt out more often and shoot with the 8x10!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

H.D.C.

13cm Perigon is hard to find. I bouhgt mine from Europe. Keep your eyes open for it. BTW, 19" RD Artar is one of my favorite lenses.

Cheers!

Hugo