Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photoshop CS2 Doesn't See My New RAM??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Photoshop CS2 Doesn't See My New RAM??

hey fellas, i was under the impression that CS2 could use up to 4 gigs of RAM. well, i just upped my memory from 2 gigs to 4, but in CS2 when i goto:

edit-> preferences-> memory and image cache

the program still shows 1760mb as my available ram. under system info in windows, i see 3.37gb of RAM, but not in photoshop. my bios shows a full 4gigs, oddly enough.

is there something i need to do to get CS2 to 'see' the extra memory? i've read about the 3gig switch in the boot.ini, but have also heard that can cause lots of problems. since my bios and os is seeing more than CS2, i figured there might be some setting in the program that i need to play with.

i'm running XP Pro Service Pack 2 if that makes a difference.

thanks,
    scott
    Last edited by Scott Rosenberg; 11-Jul-2006 at 14:15.

Re: Photoshop CS2 Doesn't See My New RAM??

scott, i thought it was that photoshop could only use 2gigs of ram, but having 4 was good because you could allocate 2 gigs entirely to photoshop and then have 2 left over to run the rest of the system apps. i'm just talking about of my ass here (an amazing ability!), but this is what i remember being bandied about on various forums.

It can actually use 3GB, according to their own sources. Still, as long as your OS supports 4GB, you should able to allocate 3GB to photoshop and leave 1GB available for system files and/or other applications. I have 4.5GB installed in my Power PC. PS "sees" 3072MB. I allocate 99% of "available RAM" for PS and the system simply takes over the remaining RAM.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

CS 2 can see 3.5 gigs not 4. But your system and other memory buffers may take up a bit more than the 500MB not being used by CS2 ... not sure what is going on Scott.

I just did that 4GB upgrade, too. See http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system...AE/PAEmem.mspx for info on windows memory usage and http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/320005.html for CS2.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Westbrook
    I just did that 4GB upgrade, too. See http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system...AE/PAEmem.mspx for info on windows memory usage and http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/320005.html for CS2.
    tom, thanks for the links. when you goto edit-> preferences-> memory and image cache, what does CS2 show under 'Available RAM'?
    Last edited by Scott Rosenberg; 11-Jul-2006 at 17:23.

I can't get the /3GB switch to work on my system--instability happens (using cheap value RAM is the mostly likely cause). Currently I just get a max of 1761 MB as max available to CS2.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Westbrook
    I can't get the /3GB switch to work on my system--instability happens (using cheap value RAM is the mostly likely cause). Currently I just get a max of 1761 MB as max available to CS2.
    that's precisely what i've got available to allocate to the app with 4 gigs installed. you can bump the % way up with that much excess memory and also nudge the cache levels to 8.

thanks, all.

here are a couple of very good articles on optimizing photoshop...

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/332271.html
    http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/332271.html

scott

On my machine, adding the simple /3G to the end of the boot.ini string did the trick. However, some MB's need the option string which allows selection at boot (google "xp 3g switch" for details). Either way, you need to add one of the 3g switch options to XP SP2 to actually allow programs to see more than 2G ram.

Now, once that is done, XP will reserve the share of the total ram (4G in most cases) it needs for ALL of it's loaded I/O devices, regardless if they are used. This will include ALL attached drives, graphics cards, firewire and USB ports, etc. What is left is what is avaialble to programs and what you will see as available to PS in the memory and image cache dialog. This can vary from about 2.2G on a loaded up system to maybe 3.5G on a trim hardware system. FWIW I have 2.77 available to CS on my fairly heavily-loaded-with-hardware system.

The good news is you can assign 100% of that to photoshop as the OS has already reserved what it needs for its other resources.

The bad news is I really did not see any significant performace boost in CS over the basic 2G allocation even when working on very large Betterlight files.

The better news is that what I did notice is that I could print really big prints directly from Photoshop on my Epsons -- they no longer get cut off after 32 inches.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Jack Flesher; 12-Jul-2006 at 07:34.
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com