Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning Film - Electrostatic Cleaners and Filters

Re: Cleaning Film - Electrostatic Cleaners and Filters

I used to have nasty dust problems both pre and post exposure. I installed a floor standing Friedrich air cleaner in the darkroom, and, as long as I run it at least twenty minutes before I load film holders or print, dust is no longer a problem. The most I need is a single pass with a soft brush to remove residual dust. The air cleaner seemed like overkill when I first got it, but now I can't image working without it.

Hello Justus - where'd you get your air cleaner?

George, I know your original post about this was pretty old (circa 2006), but I wondered if you had conducted your more scientific review of the Kinetronics KSE-250 product yet? I work for an aerial photography firm and we are looking at getting a KSE-250i cleaner to use just before scanning aerial film on a high resolution aerial film scanner. I am struggling to find any reviews or finding anyone who can vouch for how well it works.

Quote Originally Posted by George Stewart View Post
    I just purchased Kinetronics' KSE-250. I don't have enough experience to give a report yet, but it appears to be very good. It's a 5 lbs. unit, which appears could clean up to 20x24" film (8x10 is my maximum) with multiple passes. It has a replaceable filter and puts out an anti-static field that is very strong. When I get a chance, I'll give a more scientific report. I've always been pleased with Kinetroncs products

In my darkroom, I have an old Kodak anti-static brush that plugs into the wall. It works great. In my office I have a Kinetronic unit that has a thin wire that goes to the ground of any AC outlet (the neutral prong of a 3-prong adapter). It works well also. I have no way of measuring whether one works better than the other or not. They both do the job. The Kinetronics is definitely easier to acquire.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Until now we have been using a very old contact tacky film cleaner, and are beginning to find it very difficult to find rolls of the consumable tacky stuff. Kodak is the only manufacturer of the tacky stuff we knew of, and they are struggling to produce more as it is in such low demand(it is back ordered until late march).

I am just hoping the Kinetronics cleaner will remove enough dust and dirt particles for high resolution scanning. We have been working on archiving a library full of old aerial photography that, of course, is filthy.

Thanks for your advice!

Has anyone tried the Milty Zerostat Gun?
    http://www.needledoctor.com/Milty-Zerostat-Gun

Robert Bowring

I have used a Kodak anti-static brush for years in my darkroom. I believe it is the same as a Zone VI anti-static brush. It works great. You can find them for sale once in a while on ebay. It was one of the best darkroom investments I ever made. I find it much easier to clean the negative well than to have to spot a print.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Has anyone tried the Milty Zerostat Gun?
    http://www.needledoctor.com/Milty-Zerostat-Gun
    John,
    I have one, though mine says discwasher on it. Works well as long as you squeeze the trigger slowly.

Erie

Cleaning Film - Electrostatic Cleaners and Filters

Quote Originally Posted by erie patsellis View Post
    John,
    I have one, though mine says discwasher on it. Works well as long as you squeeze the trigger slowly.

Erie
    Thanks for that, Erie. It is also good to meet you here. The Orbit 8x10 you sold to me is PERFECT in alignment! In fact I am selling the Deardorff for that reason.

For others - my name is Jac, AKA John, at one time and for years a news photographer in the city of Chicago, now a retired Olde Phart.

Good to see you here as well, and I still miss that camera.

I need to make it up your way this spring, I take it all your bike accident related injuries have healed sufficiently.