Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning Film - Electrostatic Cleaners and Filters

Cleaning Film - Electrostatic Cleaners and Filters

Anyone using electrostatic filters for dust control? Any recomendations?

Also, I wonder if it is possible to induce a static charge to film that is opposite of the collection / filter device. Perhaps even charged air or pressurized, filtered and dried air with alternating charges to disrupt particles that cling to film. The idea is to use the static that attracts dirt as a means to dislodge it from film, for colleciton by a near-by electrostatic filter system. It would seem that such a technique would be great for cleaning negs, film holders and all sorts of stuff.

I would like an alternative to the poor quality little vacuum, expensive radioactive brushes that leave hairs behind/wear out, and frankly, the crummy old canned air. This seems to be just the ticket.

Does anyone know of existing equipment for this purpose? It seems like it wouldn't be that difficult to build the compressor/dryer/charger rig, and electrostatic filter systems do exist.

Thoughts on it?

Doug Dolde

Re: Cleaning Film - Electrostatic Cleaners and Filters

I've heard good things about the Kinetronics Anti-Static Ionizing Air Gun but haven't used one myself.

http://www.kinetronics.com

Geos

I just purchased Kinetronics' KSE-250. I don't have enough experience to give a report yet, but it appears to be very good. It's a 5 lbs. unit, which appears could clean up to 20x24" film (8x10 is my maximum) with mulitple passes. It has a replacable filter and puts out an anti-static field that is very strong. When I get a chance, I'll give a more scientific report. I've always been pleased with Kinetroncs products

I have something similar—not Kinetronics but a Simco product that works on the same principle. The Simco is very easy to use and removes dust well, but I don’t’ see much improvement over my old system of anti-static brush combined with filtered shop air. With the Simco alone, I need around 15-20 psi to remove dust particles that the brush/air combo removed with less than 10 psi. So I have to be more careful with the Simco. On the other hand, by not using a brush, there is no chance of scratching.

It would be fairly simple to make something similar to the Simco/Kinetronics. You would need a high voltage transformer (I’ve seen used ones on ebay very cheap) and a single-point ionizer (Simco sells them for around $100) attached at the point of discharge of a simple air gun (and filtered, regulated shop air). Power the transformer through a foot switch, so it is on only when needed.

I have a Kinetronics Anti-Static Ionizing Air Gun which I have connected to a compressed nitrogen tank with a 2-stage pressure control valve to reduce the pressure from 8000psi to about 50psi. After the capital cost is paid for this setup, the refill tanks of nitrogen are inexpensive. Some simple instruction is needed from the compressed nitrogen supplier to safely store and exchange the cylinder from the control valve. The compressed nitrogen eliminates an air compressor and provides a dry and clean source better than 'canned air'.

The Air Gun itself has a charged needle in the gas stream which ionizes the output of the Air Gun to dislodge most dust on film easily. For scanning (or analog printing), I clean the film with Kami film cleaner and a disposable wipe, place the film into the holder and then use the Air Gun to blast off any remaining dust.

See: http://www.kinetronics.com/cgi-local...893+1171661685

Good ideas - thanks!

I do wonder - the film itself tends to get a charge sometimes, which attracts dust. I wonder if there is any possible worth in pulsing the charge of the film itself, or grounding it and then blasting, etc. to dislodge.

In addition to simply blowing crud off, I would like to have a good collector nearby to actively collect what is then airborne. Somehow just blasting dust back into the air doesn't seem as effective as collecting it in general, then collecting it when it is dislodged. I'm thinking of building a 2 stage clean area - one for initial dust removal and general cleaning, then one that is even more clean. Any other thoughts on that?

I have used the Booflet (yes, wierd name indeed) with my rollfilm with great success.

You can find their quirky website here:
    http://www.boofey.com/

No relationship to the company other than a satisfied customer.

J Michael Sullivan
    MAGNAchrom...

You should be able to get along with a good Hepa filter. Dust particles are very large compared to what a electrostatic filter filters out. This from my 26 years in the a/c industry.

http://www.freeinfosociety.com/elect...ew.php?id=1648

Try this site or do a Google search on "Jacobs ladder air ionizer". It is just a series of diodes and capacitors. I have not built one yet but was planning on it. It is a very simple circuit; you will just need a box around the mains power supply! I believe I have seen kits for these also??
    Dan

A mater of fact the Kinetronics air gun is based around the same principle. They just have two or more post coming of the power supply and Jacobs ladder that ionizes the air as it is discharged from the end of the nozzle. Do some research on it and you will see that this principle has been around for a long time. People made these, and put them in there houses, to ionize the air and make the house sick free?? Someone with more electronics background can explain better than I can!

Dan