Thread: Question for anyone using Delta Films?

Question for anyone using Delta Films?

I'm wondering what the preferred developer for Delta Films are. I'm gonna start using Delta 100 in 4x5 and 400 in 120 and would like to start running tests. I know that D-76 is the preferred developer for T-max. Is that the case for Delta films too? What about DD-X?

Re: Question for anyone using Delta Films?

You will get many answers, I am sure.

My favourite developer for both Delta 100 and 400 is XTOL 1:1. I don't really like either in PMK. Both are quite good in D-76 1:1.

Some believe that Pyrocat-HD is a great developer for these films. I haven't tried that combination yet.

Some believe that Rodinal works well with these films. I haven't tried that either.

DD-X is a nice developer but it's expensive. If you don't mind paying the price for it, it will give XTOL-like results.

Actually the preferred developer by Kodak is Xtol. The Film Dev Cookbook mentions 1:3 which I have use with satisfaction in LF. I use 1:2 in medium format. Pyro based formulas are pretty popular with some depending on the end-medium of expression and the N-minus developing needs. Xtol is easy to mix, lasts well if cared for and is more benign as a developer. I'd try Xtol first and maybe Pyrocat or 510 Pyro second. Jay and Sandy should be chiming in.

The Delta films seem to develop well in most developers, so using one you're already familiar with is a good place to start. Personally, I like the balance between speed, grain, sharpness, and tonality I get with DD-X, mixed at Ilford's recommendation of 1:4.

Eric Biggerstaff

I use Delta 100 and have developed it both in Xtol ( stock) and DDX (1+4), both are nice developers but my preference is towards the DDX. It may cost a little more but it is easy to use and provides nice grain, speed, ect. Everything Ralph mentioned. You should not go wrong with the DDX / Delta combination.

Good luck.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

I develop my 4x5 film 6 sheets at a time in a half gallon tank, so with DD-X I would need to use 12.8oz everytime I developed 6 sheets. Thats not very economical, considering I use it one-shot, but if you guys swear by it, then I'm 'willing to try it. How do you think ID-11 1:1 would stack up against DD-X?

Dave Karp

I don't know how it stacks up against DD-X, but ID-11/D-76 1:1 is a beautiful combination with Delta 100. Years ago, that was the combination I used when shooting 35mm on a tripod using mirror lock up. Photographs I made that way were sometimes mistaken for medium format.

DDX for me at 1:4 has great tonality to it. I've never been thrilled with Delta 100 in either Pyro or HD....never thought it stained all the well. Considering the formualtion, Xtol 1:1 should provide decent tonality and fine grain....haven't tried it though.

I used to like it in FG-7. Even with a sodium sulfite addition the sharpness didnt seem to suffer much. Rodinol now there's an aquired taste. I never tried it in any pyro formulas.