Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Absorption of vibrations of a tripod..

Post Absorption of vibrations of a tripod..

Hi! What ways of absorption of vibrations at shooting with a tripod are you know?

Re: ___Absorption of vibrations of a tripod..

Wooden tripod legs are particularly well suited to absorbing vibration, but aside from that, many tripods feature a steel hook under the casting where the legs meet. This can be used to hang a weight of some sort which will have a stabilizing effect. If you travel, it might be possible to get an "empty" sandbag or even a collabsable water bag that can be used as a weight and filled on location.

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

Go to any telescope store website and look up "anti-vibration pads". A set of three round pads that sit under the feet of a telescope tripod, they take up vibration. They seem to work best on hard srufaces such as a concrete sidewalk - a wood tripod sunk into grass would show little if any improvement using those pads.

joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

Re: Absorption of vibrations of a tripod..

You could always get a fluid head for your tripod. These are intended for use with video cameras or motion picture cameras. Unfortunately, most are quite heavy, and the good ones are very expensive.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat

Gordon, I have two fluid heads. Long story. They make a great difference when panning and tilting while filming, otherwise don't help at all. Since we rarely pan or tilt during exposure when shooting still pictures, I'm not sure one would help Shtativ at all. I mean, he's not shooting movies, he's trying to shoot LF on the cheap.

Thanks for the clarification Dan. I have used fluid head tripods with still cameras too, since I have done some videography and motion imaging workl; so I had the opportunity to try it. I never did extensive testing, nor any sort of scientific procedures on this. There is an article on the Zeiss website about using a fluid head for damping vibrations when using still cameras; I am not convinced that is the solution, though I would expect Zeiss to know more than I do about this.

My own 4x5 preference is a Bogen 3021N with 3047 head. This is a bit heavy, but I have not had any problems with vibration affecting my images. Worst vibration problem I ever had was a strong breeze making the darkslide portion of my Quickloads flutter during four minute exposures; probably luck that the images turned out fine.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat

Thank you for answers, friends!
    Yes, I shoot LF on the cheap. Now, I would bye the Feisol 3371 tripod+Markins M10 and thinking how I can reduce the vibrations.. If I shall cover the chamber with rubber, energy of vibration should turn to thermal energy. I am right or not? And whether it is necessary to me to put a thin layer of rubber between a tripod and a head?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert A. Zeichner
    ...hang a weight of some sort which will have a stabilizing effect.
    This is what I do. I hang a 5 lb. sand bag from the hook under my Gitzo. The tripod is made of carbon fiber, which makes it less resonant. I watch my bubble level to help tell when vibrations have ceased after handling the camera. Using a cable release with a bit of slack will help ensure that vibrations are not transfered along a taught cable to the camera. It is a number of factors that cumulatively affect the outcome. Minimizing or eliminating all the variables in the system will probably help more than changing any one particular thing...

Wooden tripod legs are particularly well suited to absorbing vibration, but aside from that, many tripods feature a steel hook under the casting where the legs meet. This can be used to hang a weight of some sort which will have a stabilizing effect. If you travel, it might be possible to get an "empty" sandbag or even a collabsable water bag that can be used as a weight and filled on location.
    This is probably the most efficient way to go and the least expensive method to employ. Plus, it's easily accessible and you don't need to a lot of specialized equipment. If you have a little satchel/netting... you can fill it with rocks from the area where you're shooting. In other words, you don't need to carry the additional weight with you.

BTW, you don't really need a hook either... it's nice but not necessary. I've even seen people use an old pair of lady's nylon stockings to contain the rocks. They tied this to the center post of the pod! Very sheik!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

"... many tripods feature a steel hook under the casting where the legs meet. This can be used to hang a weight of some sort which will have a stabilizing effect..."
    I've heard of this before, but it seems like it would create a pendulum. No? I've never tried it for that reason.