Thread: Rodenstock 105mm f4.5 lens with Prontor shutter

Rodenstock 105mm f4.5 lens with Prontor shutter

I recently bought a Rodenstock 105mm f4.5 lens with Prontor shutter for just a few bucks.

I have never used this kind of shutter before. There is no need to cock the shutter. You just press the shutter the release. But, there is a bit of delay from the time the shutter release is pressed, until the shutter actually fires. Is this normal for this kind of shutter?.

Re: Rodenstock 105mm f4.5 lens with Prontor shutter

It's hard to give a definite response without actually hearing what you are describing. I have a couple of Copal Press shutters that work the same way and there is no delay when I trip the shutter. I also have a Prontor Pro shutter and no delay there either.

Hope this helps.

How much delay -- something like 1/50 to 1/30 second? If so, it might be a delay-based M synch, since the synch contacts must close 20 ms before the shutter opens to allow the bulb to ignite and start to brighten. Otherwise, it probably just means the shutter needs a CLA...

BTW that's called a "press" shutter (they were handy for press photographers; you could zap off six shots with a Grafmatic and press shutter in about 15 seconds, and an experienced worker could do almost that well with double dark slides, as long as he had an assistant to hand him fresh ones and catch the exposed holders). Some of them require an extra-long travel cable release, and a few also want the end of the release plunger filed flat so it doesn't slip off the edge of the internal release lever.
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Qualls
    ... Some of them require an extra-long travel cable release, and a few also want the end of the release plunger filed flat so it doesn't slip off the edge of the internal release lever.
    I noticed this with an Alphax-shutter I acquired recently (got it very cheap with a Wollensak 75mm f1.9 Oscillio-Anastigmat, and it included a rear thread for a mounting ring!). It works after I gave it some minor lubrication...but my cable release is not capable of triggering it correctly.

Donald Qualls, is there any specific name to these 'extra-long flat cable release'?
    Last edited by Patrik Roseen; 7-Jul-2006 at 15:04.