Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Played with the Epson 750 yesterday

Re: Played with the Epson 750 yesterday

Just curious but how are you all calculating real resolution in terms of spi for the Epson? Is it on edge sharpness or the amount of crisp detail?

I get expected edge sharpness from 35mm scans at 4800spi off my refurbed Epson 4870 that if you sharpened it enough could still look good for an enlarged print at 300 dpi. I don't understand how you claim Epsons don't have the spi stated.

>>I did learn the wet-scan tray is available as a stand-alone purchase and can be used on the 700, though it is unclear if it will work on the 4990.<<

Unless your 4990's optimum film suspension height for "best" focus is way off, I really don't think the fluid tray will produce superior results on a 4990. The 4990's optimum suspension height is supposed to be right at 1 mm. FWIW, most people who have tested and reported back to me in regard to their 4870 and 4990 scanners have found their optimum height to be around the 1.8 mm range. After testing with my digital caliper, it looks like my 750's fluid tray suspends at close to 3.5 mm. If your fluid tray is the same (because low cost glass thickness tolerance can vary quite a bit and will affect things), I don't think you would be getting the best results.

>>I think it has been 1600 since the 3200<<

No doubt the real resolution is probably half or less and we could debate for a while what the final numbers are/were, but in terms of sharpness, I definitely saw a good improvement from the 2450 to the 3200. In my experience the improvment from the 3200 to the 4870 was much smaller (but certainly there) and the difference from the 4870 to the 4990 was nada. If someone already owns a 4870 or 4990, I really encourage them to try shimming their holders. There are other advantages to the V series, but you might be surprised at the improvement you get with your current scanner and how well you shimmed scans compare to a V series. You can do this fairly inexpensively on your own by utilizing cut squares of plastic shim stock or even Mylar. You might find that an hour of your time and $10 worth of material convinces you that you don't need to spend $450+ on an upgrade.

I agree with others here who think the Epsons are still a decent "value" proposition - except that at their higher prices and current performance level, probably not as much of a value as in the past.

Doug
    ---
    http://www.betterscanning.com

This is an interesting discussion about softness but I never really expected much in the way of sharpness from my v700. All that matters to me is that it cleans up nicely when USM is applied - which it does.

What I find more worrying is how easily banding appears on scans from the V700. I've been scanning some Velvia 50 5x4s recently and this film seems particularly poor in this respect. It seems that the scanner has a hard job dealing with gradual transitions from bright to very dark areas. Has anyone else noticed this and is there anything I can do about it (apart from doing my best to disguise it in Photoshop)?