Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: View Camera Magazine

View Camera Magazine

View Camera has started what is essentially a Reader's Gallery in each issue. It is called Four Photographs From ............We are looking for submissions for this section. Each selected photographer will be asked to provide a statement about their work and technical info about the photographs. This section is intended to give people who have not had a lot of public exposure for their work a place to be seen.

View Camera is also considering starting a gathering of large format photographers each October somewhere on the Eastern Side of the Sierras, perhaps Lee Vining. There is a lot to shoot in the area and the gathering might be a Thursday through Sunday afternoon. There is camping in the area and a few motels. We are wondering if there would be any interest. The purpose would be to share and show images, and take field trips to Bodie, Lee Vining Canyon, Tioga Pass and perhaps down to the Alabama Hills, etc. We are wondering if there would be interest in such a gathering?

steve simmons

Re: View Camera Magazine

I like the "Four Photographs From ..." idea and look forward to seeing the images selected (and the relatd text).

I also like the gathering idea but would personally have a hard time making it from New York very often. Maybe moving the site around the coutry would help those of us not local to the Sierra.

Hi Steve,

Like Greg, I also like the idea of the Four Photographs From... but, why not take it one step further and have the photog describe how the image was taken as well. In other words, the movements used to accomplish the task.

Some people may find it tedious but I'll bet there are LOTS of new LF photographers out there who would find such an article incredibly enlightening from a "learning perspective." OTH, I'll also surmise that there are some experienced users who may find a new tip or two in the process. So, all in all, it'd be informative to say the least.

As for a trip... I also think that's a great idea but, like Greg, I'd find it a challenge to travel up to that neck of the woods. I'd also think it a good idea to move the venue around in order to make it more accessible to a greater number of people. Look at it this way... those people in a particular locale, after attending it once (maybe twice) aren't going to want to continue attending the same location over and over and over.

Just my $.02 worth!

Hope you're recovering nicely, Steve!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

Hi Steve,

The reader's gallery sounds like a great idea; perhaps I'll send in some of my work. In what format would you like the submissions- as prints, or are digital files O.K.?

As for the informal workshop/ get together, Per Volquartz organizes one just like it in the eastern Sierras every October. I went last year, and found it to be a very positive experience. Perhaps the View Camera workshop/ get together could combine with this one? Alternatively, as some others have mentioned, perhaps it could be in a different location every year to accomodate people from all over the country. How about New Mexico, or southern Utah?
    Last edited by Brian Vuillemenot; 7-Jul-2006 at 10:56.
    Brian Vuillemenot

Eric Biggerstaff

Steve,

I like both ideas. I enjoy photographing the Eastern side and would try to make such a gathering for sure.

I would also like to submitt some images for consideration, so I think this is great.

Thanks,
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Both good ideas.

Dave Karp

Great ideas Steve. Feeling better?

Both are good ideas.

Yes, my recovery is surprising people but as one friend said that just means I am a tough old goat!

Our submission guidelines are on our web page but I prefer prints or transparencies for the first look rather than digital files.

We've actually started the Four Photographs from... series in the May issue. There is another such piece in theJuly issue that is now coming out.

thanks

steve
    Last edited by steve simmons; 7-Jul-2006 at 13:22.

Yes to both ideas.

Mike