Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LF Gathering on Svalbard summer 2007?

LF Gathering on Svalbard summer 2007?

Hi all.
    What about a Large format gathering in Longyearbyen on Svalbard next summer?
    User Morten launched the idea in the introduction forum.
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=18428
    I just recently moved to Longyearbyen on Svalbard - a group of islands north of the european mainland, and could act as a host for such a gathering.

If the interest for a gathering is present I could set up a website (in english) with more information about the islands and how to get there. I know several of the tour operators here and the will be happy to assist with accomodation, boat rental and (if necessary) guides.

Here are some useful links:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svalbard
    http://www.svalbard.net/index.asp?Lang=UK
    http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/...k/geos/sv.html

Eirik Berger

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Re: LF Gathering on Svalbard summer 2007?

Now that is a place I would like to go!

Truly LF nature up there - and 24 hours of daylight in the summer...

Possibly the last remaining inhabited area where it is still possible to get eaten by polar bears! I'm definitely very interested. For this husband-of-a-teacher to come, it would have to be in late June, July, or August, while school is not in session.

I had a great time in Norway last year, but got no further north than Trondheim. I would love to connect with local LFers in points north.

Red face Re: LF Gathering on Svalbard summer 2007?

I am game! To come that is. Not game for the bears.....
    Should they be a problem I could probably hide behind my 12x20...?
    Tedd
    Teddan

Hi Eirik - a gathering in Svalbard sounds great to me, dates and money permitting, of course!

Malcolm Raggett

Smile Re: LF Gathering on Svalbard summer 2007?

Hei igjen Eirik!!

I'm Still In!! What would be the best time with respect to light, availablity, etc ?

Best regards
    Morten

Talking Re: LF Gathering on Svalbard summer 2007?

Quote Originally Posted by Tedd
    I am game! To come that is. Not game for the bears.....
    Should they be a problem I could probably hide behind my 12x20...?
    Tedd
    Tedd, You could also hide IN your 12x20 :- ) http://www.pbase.com/mortenk/image/50108025/large

Morten :-)

I am sorry I havent answered for some time. I have been travelling quite a bit and when I have been home the internet connection at has been terrible (unreliable that is). I am finaly back in Longyearbyen and can start doing some thinking.

The main challenge as I see it is transportation. There are no roads outside Longyearbyen, so pretty much all travelling in summer is done by boat or by walking. Walking would kill Tedd, so boat is the thing I guess.

I have started working on a website in english with all necessary information and photolocation suggestions. When it is ready (in a week or so) I will publish yhe address here in this thread. The editor in the newspaper (where I work) has traveled all over Svalbard the last 35 years, and he said he would suggest locations not too far from L.byen.

Near L.byen there are abandoned coal mines, and a cableway network between the mines and the town. So it is possible to have an industrial approach to photography close to town, but most photographers that come here is seeking untouched nature. And that may require a bit of traveling. If you google Svalbard or Spitsbergen you will find tons of images and it will give you an idea how the landscape looks like.

Morten: The best time will probably be in late june-beginning of july. The light is good (24 hours a day), hotels may be crowded since it is in the middle of the tourist season. I know the tour operators here quite well so I am sure we will work it out some way.

Tedd: 99 out of 100 polarbears are scared of humans, the problem is that bears are not numbered so you never know when you bump into no. 100. Your camera will most likely scare them, if not I can climb on top of it with binoculars and a rifle and watch for white fuzzy animals...

I happened upon that New Scandanavian Cooking show on PBS, they did an episode in Svalbard -- man, that is some rugged, empty, cold, country! I am curious what most tourists find to do there...

Personally I am very excited about the coal mines, as it is getting harder and harder to photograph industrial sites here in the US.

Sounds great.

We made a photgraphic trip jointly with Finnish-Swedish natural photographers in summer 2005, early june. Weather was fine. Travelled by Origo ship. Doing landings at different places. From ship you can't use tripod so must go on land for LF. On this trip we photographed mostly birds from ship and a some polar bears.

Depending on the length of the gathering we could make some short boat trips to near by locations. I'm willing to join in and I think some others from Finland would gladly join in. We also have LF users here.

For malt whisky lovers, as I am, the greatest suprise for me was to find such a huge collection of malt whiskies in Longyearbyen. Haven't seen such a place even in Scotland.

Kirmo