Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kirk Gittings images at Freestyle and thoughts on Freesetyle policy

Kirk Gittings images at Freestyle and thoughts on Freesetyle policy

I went to Freestyle last week and as I always do when I go there, I visited the gallery room. I was pleased to see 3 beautifully crafted prints of our own Kirk Gittings, and once again I was struck by the work of Pietrzack.
    That man manages to inbed his own heart in the paper emulsion like few can.
    There where other images worth noting of course, Gilpin and Witherhill come to mind.

Some time ago I sent some attachments to the person in charge of the exhibits at Freestyle for a possible inclusion and he replied that he liked my work but the gallery is reserved only for Advisory Board members work and schools.
    My first reaction was :"What a waste of space", but then I thought that at least they are helping young photography students who need to have the Gallery experience.
    I just wish the fellows at Freestyle could be a little more inclusive and work more toward Photography and not photographers.

Things are just tough for self tought artists, isn't it?

Re: Kirk Gittings images at Freestyle and thoughts on Freesetyle policy

Their loss, not yours.

Lovely images on your web site.

Thanks for mentioning this. I was not aware that the show was still up or that the gallery was exclusively for advisory board members. I will inquire about that and let you know. Maybe the way around this is for Advisory board members to curate shows? I might suggest that to them.

Also it is not final yet, but I think I am having a solo exhibit there in Sept. I will let you know.
    Last edited by Kirk Gittings; 3-Jul-2006 at 15:08.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Dave Karp

Kirk,

Your images have been up for a long time and are indeed a pleasure to view. Your photos are in a conference room along with some photos by Ray McSavaney, which are also beautiful. I drop in to take a look at the photos in that room every time I visit Freestyle.

The room where they include the shows and lectures is now filled with work from a variety of photographers.

I hope they do a show of your work in September. I would love to see it in real life.
    Last edited by QT Luong; 26-Sep-2008 at 23:10.

David,
    Thanks. I must say in all seriousness, that those are good but not my primo work. When they asked me for those, I was in the middle of two large solo shows, book signings etc. and had very few prints on hand or time to do anymore. That was back in October! Wow, I had no idea they were still up. I was about to ask for them back. The upcoming show will also have silver prints, which I am also low on still but will borrow back from some collectors.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

hey dom,
    i love the site and the work. what software did you use for the website?

David, I have no idea.
    My skills in website maintenance stop at adding links.
    Next time I talk to my webmaster I'll ask him.

Quote Originally Posted by domenico Foschi
    Things are just tough for self tought artists, isn't it?
    It's the "outsider effect" at work. No matter how good you are, if you aren't part of "the group", you have an uphill battle to get noticed, accepted, etc. Works the same way with writing, science, invention -- even driving a taxi.

Just makes the outsider work harder, which in the end makes those that do break through the barrier that much better and stronger. In the end, it cuts both ways -- it keeps out people who could advance the art, but it also means those who eventually break through tend to do much better work than they might if things were easier...
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

Some very candid thoughts:

We are all in the end self taught. Getting degrees is about paying your dues and networking, they are not about gaining knowledge. I have learned far more from this forum about photography than in the 6 years I spent in art school.

Nobody starts out an insider. You work at it and cultivate it. I have been working at it since 1970 and I don't feel at all like I have arrived there yet. It might be easier if you are some extraordinary talent. I do not have that good fortune. I make up for it with hard work. For the last three years I have averaged 70 hours a week. This month I am taking my first real vacation since 1978.

I have only personally ever known one overnight sensation, Joel Peter Witkin, who worked relentlessly for 15 years to become an "overnight success".
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Well said Kik!!!!!