Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pinkham & Smith remounted in Shutter

Re: Pinkham & Smith remounted in Shutter

I've gotten back the the Ilford FP4 I used on this shoot, there's a little more clarity and fidelity with these shots than with the Polaroid proofing shot, so here's the front and back cells remounted by Adam Dau of S.K. Grimes, mounted in the Ilex#5 shutter.

I'd love a scenario where the Pinkham springs back to life in 8x10 with a production run of a lens possibly similar to this one, just like the CookePS945 in 4x5.

Have good weekend.
    Jonathan Brewer

www.imageandartifact.bz

Here's the back cell.
    Jonathan Brewer

www.imageandartifact.bz

Jonathan,

I have a 14 ½" f4 Wollensak Verito in a Studio shutter that never worked properly, and gave me fits for years. During that time, I too longed for a "real" shutter, and would have been willing to sacrifice a stop of aperture to get one. In the end, I'm glad I didn't go through with the conversion, and instead had my Studio shutter rebuilt by Carol Miller at Flutot's Camera Repair. The old shutter works like new, and although it's still not a "real" shutter, it seems to suit me very well, and I can use my lens at f4 for maximum effect, although, I doubt I could detect any difference between shots taken at f4 and f4.5. I've had this lens for years, but feel that I am only just beginning to get to know it since Carol repaired my shutter. These lenses are a lot more complex than I imagined, and there is a real learning curve associated with them, quite apart from matters of taste, which are equally critical to develop. I find that I approach a subject very differently when using one of these lenses than I would using a standard lens. I'm still in the toe of the learning curve, but when everything works, it's amazing. Enjoy your new lens.

Jay

'I'm still in the toe of the learning curve, but when everything works, it's amazing.'...................................................................You are exactly right about this, I feel I'm in the same position w/the Cooke lens.
    Jonathan Brewer

www.imageandartifact.bz