Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HP CombiPlan question

HP CombiPlan question

I'm edging toward trying my own B&W development, and though trays are really tempting, I'm sort of inclined toward the HP CombiPlan daylight tank.

Its only $75 through Amazon.com, but my question is whether it is a complete system? I know I will need a timer, thermometer, etc, but want to make sure I get what I need the first time.

Is this correct:
    HP CombiPlan
    (misc chemicals)
    timer,
    thermometer

Or are there more parts/stuff to buy to develop B&W with the CombiPlan?

Thank you,

David

Re: HP CombiPlan question

As a processing tank the Combi Plan is complete with film rack, film loading guide (sometimes we screw up and include 2 of them, film retaining clip, 2 light tight hose connectors and a funnel to aid in filling. The light tight hose connectors are ribbed so you can easily attach a PVC type wash hose to the bottom one to convert the tank into a forced film washer.

In addition you will need some bottles to hold the chemistry, a good thermometer and some means of timing the processes.

the CombiPlan T system has a list price of $87.00 in the U.S.

In my opinion, the CombiPlan is a clumsy adaptation of a deep tank for daylight processing. Fill and dump rates are slow, and it fills from the top, basically dribbling over the film until full. The Jobo 2521 tank and 2509n reel is a much better system for daylight processing of multiple sheets of film. The Jobo tanks fill and dump very quickly, and fill from the bottom of the tank, covering your film quickly and evenly, instead of dribbling and splashing. The Jobo tanks can be used like any small tank for intermittent inversion agitation, or rolled for rotary agitation with the minimum required volume of developer solution for much greater economy. The full Jobo setup with reel, tank, loader and guides is a little more expensive than the CombiPlan, but a bargain by comparison. I would avoid the CombiPlan at all costs.

Jay

"dribbling over the film until full"

Sorry but that isn't corrrect. The Light Tight Hose Connector channels the solution into a trough around the top of the tank which then lets the solutions fill from the edges. There are never complaints of splashing or dripping but then again, the CombiPlan has only been on the market - unchaged except for the design of the teeth on the film clip, for the past half century. So enough other people have not found the filling technique to be that much of a problem that it would cause anything like uneven processing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay De Fehr
    In my opinion, the CombiPlan is a clumsy adaptation of a deep tank for daylight processing. Fill and dump rates are slow, and it fills from the top, basically dribbling over the film until full. The Jobo 2521 tank and 2509n reel is a much better system for daylight processing of multiple sheets of film. The Jobo tanks fill and dump very quickly, and fill from the bottom of the tank, covering your film quickly and evenly, instead of dribbling and splashing. The Jobo tanks can be used like any small tank for intermittent inversion agitation, or rolled for rotary agitation with the minimum required volume of developer solution for much greater economy. The full Jobo setup with reel, tank, loader and guides is a little more expensive than the CombiPlan, but a bargain by comparison. I would avoid the CombiPlan at all costs.

Jay
    I wouldn't go as far to say it should be avoided at costs. I have used one sucessfully for several years. It does have it's limitations though. I have just purchased the Jobo as mentioned and in the UK it is cheaper than the combi plan and the jobo is much better made.
    The jobo does load and empty much more quickly. The biggest draw back with the jobo is that when used for hand inversion development and not rotary, it uses 1500ml of chemistry which is 50% more than the combi plan. Until I have used the jobo more I wouldn't like to say which is the best option. I have yet to find out whether inversion pushes the film out of the guides which occasionally happens with the combi plan. The likelyhood of this happening can be reduced by filling the combi plan further than needed to cover the film so that you use 1200ml instead of 1000ml. The jobo does have the dubious advantage of being able to be used for rotary processing.
    I think the jobo is a little easier to load in a changing bag than the combi plan but there is not much in it.

There are never complaints of splashing or dripping...
    Maybe you should re-read my post, Bob, or some of the dozens of others detailing the shortcomings of the CombiPlan.

robc,

I think you'll be very happy with your Jobo system. I think the difference between 1200ml and 1500ml is not very important, unless you're using an unusually expensive developer, in which case, you might opt to use rotary agitation and the minimum volume of solution. I like the 2521 tank for reduced agitation development with dilute developer, and prefer the Expert drums for rotary development (easier to load, and I can proces 3x4 in them).

Jay

I just bought a Combi Tank for use with DiXactol developer. Freestyle has them for
    $65. I'm planning on having the tank filled with developer and inserting the film holder directly into it to start the process. Eliminates the initial filling with developer, gets the film instantly into the developer. Also planning on trying and drain from the bottom valve; open the bottom, pop the air vent on top and the liquid should drain out fast.

Good luck with your foray into LF developing. I've tried trays, too long in the dark. Tried the Unicolor tubes, works fine except I can only do 2 negs at a time (4 keeps overlapping no matter what I've tried to separate them) and can't do compensating developing with the constant agitation and can't use DiXactol.

Brian

Ok, I'm a little confused about whether the CombiPlan will be ok as a way for me to tinker with my own film development?

Maybe I should just punt and get a some trays?

Quote Originally Posted by Aroundomaha
    Ok, I'm a little confused about whether the CombiPlan will be ok as a way for me to tinker with my own film development?

Maybe I should just punt and get a some trays?
    The whole point of the combi plan or the jobo being discussed here is that they are both suitable for daylight processing. Trays must be done in the dark. You can tinker with development with any of the combi plan or the jobo or trays. If you are working in the dark you can use the combi plan like a dip and dunk tank if you wanted. The only thing you cant do with a combi plan is rotary processing.

Processing with intermittent agitation is the method I prefer. Both the combi plan and Jobo will do that. The jobo also can be used for roller processing with much less chemistry. Either will be suitable for you. Take your pick.

David,
    On the Home Page under Processing and Printing, check out the article by Eugene Singer titled:"Developing 4x5 Sheet Film, an Alternative Method." He outlines a good system of using the CombiPlan tanks. I have used this system and it works well.