Thread: Arca Swiss Tripod/Monorail Clamp

Question Arca Swiss Tripod/Monorail Clamp

Am I correct in thinking that in order to attach an Arca Swiss monorail camera to a tripod that you have to use an Arca Swiss tripod head, eg B1e? Or are there alternatives?
    Any help appreciated.
    Barry
    Last edited by Barry F; 24-Jun-2006 at 09:29.

Re: Arca Swiss Tripod/Monorail Clamp

You can use any head that works with the Arca Swiss system. There are many options, including Really Right Stuff, Kirk, Markins, Acratech, etc. You could even mount just an Arca clamp on pretty much any existing head.

and ..... if you are gonna use an Arca compatible clamp or plate there are a number of plain vanilla generics out there tht work just fine. You can pay extra $$ for a name on the side or get a simple well machined block of metal from one of the several sellers on eBay for lots less. I have plates on all my cameras, most are generics. No failures and no problems.

Also, the Arca rail clamp (called an Extension Bracket) has a 3/8" threaded socket for screw-in tripod heads and QR plates. The Arca system is usually more stable, though.

Thanks for the advice folks - much appreciated.

Barry

I'm not sure that this is totally relavant, but here goes:
    I have an Arca Swiss 5x4", which has both 1/4" and 3/8" bosses in the actual monorail, and also a duplicate layout on the clamp. You can attach it to any support system you, provided it has an appropriate screw thread.
    I have a manfrotto QR plate on mine

Older Arca Swiss Oschwald Camera rails and early F-line type I rails can be directly screwed on a 1/4" or 3/8" thread without need of the extension bracket.
    Type 2 rails and brackets use a different and (IMHO) more efficient sliding/clamping system for which you cannot have a threaded screw under the rail. Of course there is a threaded hole under type II brackets.
    In any case securing a monorail camera by a simple screw is tedious whereas any quick-release system will be safier and quicker.
    Among 3-rd party clamps we can add the Gitzo vise which has a wide range of possible apertures and which is compatible with many dovetail plates. Including of course Gitzo's but also the profile and width of type I and type II Arca Swiss extension brackets.

So things are actually extremely flexible. You do what you wish but you'll soon discover that a quick release system is really helpful and you'll equip your 35mm cameras as well ;-)

I'm using both the 100% Arca Swiss system with a Monoball® B1 and an Arca Swiss clamp screwed on top of on a classical pan-tilt Gitzo "rationnelle" head.
    On the Gitzo platform, the well-known cork layer will prevent any risk of twisting for the clamp which is almost "carved" inside the cork as soon as it is tightened by a robust 3/8" screw. The Arca Swiss clamp originally fitting the B1 cannot twist by construction.
    Last edited by Emmanuel BIGLER; 10-Jul-2006 at 09:35.