Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuji Acros 100 - Developer and suggestions?

Fuji Acros 100 - Developer and suggestions?

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Greetings All,

I've been shooting TMax 100 in 120 and 4x5 developed in Tmax developer in my Photo-Therm SSK8R processor. I'm in HOtLanta, GA (Atlanta, GA) and have to process my film at 75 degrees F due to the temp of the water coming out of the tap. My times for Tmax 100 are running 4.5 minutes for 120 film and 4.0 minutes for 4x5 film. I'm shooting Tmax at ASA 100 with these development times and I'm getting a great density curve when I run the density tests on the films. (Densities check on my X-Rite 810). Negatives are scanned on a Howtek 8,000 line drum scanner and worked digitally thereafter.

I'm reasonable pleased with the results BUT I keep hearing good data on the Acros 100 film. In searching and reading a great number of prior posts on the Acros film, I felt that Rodinal was one of the preferred developers. However, I've found that the Rodinal is no longer available and thus will substantially change the value of prior post of that film.

I ask three questions:
    1.) Those that have contrasted the Tmax 100 and Acros 100 in both 120 and 4x5 - what did you see as the advantages of each?

2.) What are the attributes of the various developers you have tried with the Acros 100 and what have you standardized on?

3.) Some suggested starting ASA's, rotation rates and development times for the developer that you fondest of with the Acros film?

PS: Emphasis on 120 film as frankly, I'm finding I'm doing far more of my shooting with 120 film these days when I travel by plane to the destination. Just a whole lot easier for me to hike with and I'm doing a lot of panorama shots these days - the H1 and a RRS pan head work great!

Jack

Re: Fuji Acros 100 - Developer and suggestions?

See what I posted here:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...cros+perceptol

Also, since then, I've established a time of 9 minutes at 75 degrees F for the same protocol.

I find Acros to have the following advantages over TMX:

- Greater visual impression of sharpness
    - A straighter curve, especially in the mid-tones
    - Better reciprocity performance
    - Developed as described, negatives are very neutral-colored. "New" TMX, when processed in a developer that mitigates its coarser visible graininess compared to "old" TMX, ends up warm in color, with particularly yellow highlights. This characteristic, most pronounced in Xtol, is non-linear with respect to density. As a result, TMX negatives distort the film-developer-paper curve, depressing high values when printed on VC paper and blowing them out on graded paper.

I haven't used Acros in large format, but in 35 mm and 120, it's excellent in Rodinal (well, I use Parodinal, but that seems to be identical working), 1:50, 19 minutes with agitation only every 3rd minute. Unfortunately, with a rotary processing system, you'll never see the acutance benefits of letting the film stand in a suitable developer, but you might still like Rodinal -- try 1:50 at around 10 minutes in your rotary, though that's likely to result in speed loss of one stop or more compared to the slower process.
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

Rodinal was briefly unavilable but, AFAIK, it is available again and has been for at least a month. There is alos at least oneother developer tht uses the same proximate formula but a different name.

I use Rodinal at 1:50 for ACROS in a Jobo. You can easily adjust your developing time to compensate for the 75 degree temp.

I use D76 1:1 with both TMX and Acros.

The only signifigant difference I have found between these films, and the reason I sometimes use Acros, is it's superior reciprocity characteristics.

I hand roll in a Jobo 3006 on the $20 Jobo roller base at 50 RPM, reversing direction every two revolutions. Normal development at 68 degrees is 8.0 minutes.

Check Paul Butzi's website for a detailed comparison of these two films, and much development information.

I suggest Xtol 1:3. I've used this with 35mm Acros rated at 80 and its great. in general, I think Acros looks more like standard older films than TMax. Unfiltered, Acros looks like I'm using a very light yellow filter.

I'm at 14 minutes or so in small tanks at 70 degrees. Constant agitation would cut that about 15%. If you can get enough working solution on the film I think you'll be very pleased with Xtol. I'm not familiar with your Phototherm processor chemical capacities.

By the time you make adjustments for 75 degrees and constant agitation you'll be around 10 minutes I'd guess. Getting enough working solution on the film is the only question I'd have about this combination in your machine. Kodak wants you to use at least 100ml stock Xtol per 80 sq. inches of film. Can you get 400ml of working solution in your drum for each roll of 120 or 4 sheets of 4x5?

Henry,

The Photo-Therm SSK8R with the film tank I have holds 4 4x5 sheets or two rolls of 120 film. My tank takes 500 ml of chemistry.

I previously had the Jobo CPP2 and I find the SSK to be dramatically better and runs totally unattended. The development across a 4x5 sheet of film give a perfectly even density on all corners and in the center! You have total control over all variables in the development process.

There is a larger tank available that will hold 8 sheets of 4x5 and 4 rolls of 120 that I don't currently own - it's on the list for future purchase.

I would encourage all to look into it.

Jack

Hi Jack.

I've used TMX for years, and recently began using Acros. The biggest differences betwen the two films, as far as I can tell, is the nearly opposite spectral sensitivities, and Acros' enhanced reciprocity behavior. TMX's sensitivity extends quite a way into the red (700nm, or so), while Acros is classified as orhtopanchromatic. I develop both films in 510-Pyro. For Acros and normal scenes, I develop in 510-Pyro 1:100 6min/70F at my Jobo ATL-2 Plus' slowest speed.

Jay

Acros? Orthopanchromatic (like Efke 25)? Really?!

Now I'll have to dig up my Acros negatives and see if I can recall the original colors -- I recall it bringing out clouds rather poorly relative to red-enhanced panchro films like TMY (more like Plus-X), but I don't recall any suggestions in the box documentation or on the web site to use unusually high filter factors with red filters. I understood it was a pretty standard Type B sensitivity curve, while TMX and TMY are closer to Type C...
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

Hi Donald.

According to the pdf, Acros is orthopanchromatic. I'll try to attach the pdf.

Jay