Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on loupes

Advice on loupes

Just bought a Toyo 4x5 and need a loupe. Square corners, glass instead of plastic, 3.6-6 magnification, something to protect the GG, a method to wear it around my neck, low cost. All of these things have been recom as I read a variety of web-sites. Toyo 3.6 was strongly recom. I guess it is no longer made. What does the forum think is a good loupe? Esp for a newbie.
    Also, I am going to make my own hood. What material do you recom? Heavy cuts out the light, but very uncomfortable. How heavy/thick does it need to be?
    Thanks, Bill

I have a Toyo Loupe 3.6 (I am pretty sure it is 3.6) I am not using often. I am using a Schneider now.

If interested in my Toyo let me know and I will dig it out, make an offer. PM me of interested.

Charlie
    - Charlie Wheelihan

Re: Advice on loupes

If it helps, amongst the Rodenstock ASPH 4X, Silvestri tilt 6x and Docter 8X, my favourite is the Silvestri. Not the best made, but works.
    About the dark cloth, after many wrong choices my fave is a small one (42x26"), homemade with two plies of soft but relatively thick black cotton material. The best I have for the hotest summer. In the camera side there is a 9mm rope portion that helps fitting... I always carry with two Wolcraft plastic pliers to secure it if needed.

Octogenarian

Bill,

If our 4x5 Toyo has a folding focusing hood (also protects the ground glass), the Toyo 3.6X loupe is long enough to be used inside of a folding hood.

It has rubber protective ends and a neck cord. Many previously owned ones available.

I seldom need to use a dark cloth with mine.

Peter

This was discussed at length awhile back. Here is the thread ...
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...favorite+loupe

Peter

threefoot, I do not know how to PM yet. How bout 50% of what it cost new?

Peter, thanks for the link, it helped. Now if I can only get three-foot to sell me his loupe, I'll be in good shape.

Jose, I do not understand what you mean by using a rope to fasten it to the camera??? A rope would crush the bellows. Is velcro a viable option?

Bill, it is a just 14" piece of climbing rope, sewn inside the hem cloth (it`s not visible). The aim is to have a thicker, more rigid border to naturally "got caught" in the camera`s top at the back frame... it`s just a short rim to avoid the usual slip... works like a charm.

Yes a Velcro will work (maybe I`ll add it someday). Right now I use a small plastic plier (the ones used by carpenters to hold/glue small items).

Jose, thanks, I see what you mean. The velcro idea I had was to glue the soft part of the velcro around the frame housing the GG. The camera is not an expensive model, and I am not worried about decreasing it's value or function. Your way is easy and leaves no permanent marks. I'll be first trying your way.