Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kill the Lounge!

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Kill the Lounge!

One of the great things about this forum has been the large "signal-to-noise" ratio" here: This is where you go to find information and answers, and even opinions about LF questions.

The "Lounge" is pure noise: Nothing relevant, and certainly nothing that couldn't have been better slugged out in another forum.

I beg you: KILL THE LOUNGE!

We have a lounge (and a "soap box") over at apug.org. They are well established, and the modeators (including myself, I'm sorry to say) are largely willing to let you slug it out between yorselves. We interfer rarely, except when someone targets "innocent bystanders".

WHY should LFinfo have a "lounge"????

Re: Kill the Lounge!

thats another good reason for a "core forums" button on the main navbar. Infact, if the unified link only gave "core forums" you could avoid all the noise from other forums unless you specifically wanted to see it. For some reason I don't quite understand, this would not be a popular thing to do from the admin point of view.

Incidentally, I had a look at vbulletin.org and see that there are lots of useful plugins for vbulletin which dont require any major changes to vbulletin code. There's one there for multiline navbars but you can only see what is does if you are a registered vbulletin owner.

Quote Originally Posted by robc
    thats another good reason for a "core forums" button on the main navbar. Infact, if the unified link only gave "core forums" you could avoid all the noise from other forums unless you specifically wanted to see it.
    I agree with Ole. Kill it. Dead. Now. Why add more buttons to cope with a morass that has nothing to do with LF photography and simply wastes bandwidth.

The old lfphoto.info had an "off topic" category for chit-chat, but it's interesting that it was pretty much neglected, while The Lounge gets more use in the new site. I think that in the text-oriented site it just didn't occur to people to make too many off topic posts, and if they did, it tended to be in the nature of personal announcements I think, while listing "The Lounge" right out there seems a bit more like an invitation, and maybe the title seems to suggest that this is where to discuss religion and politics.

I guess it could be re-titled to steer the discussion away from the minefields while still having a place for people to announce their weddings, births, deaths, retirements, job changes, and such.

There is a lounge? Boy I need new glasses.

I don't really care one way or the other whether there's a lounge here or not. But, having said that... there have been the odd interesting thread that originated from The Lounge.

Personally, I'd rather see the "For Sale Listings" set up under a separate, hidden area.

Just my 2 cents worth!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura
    I agree with Ole. Kill it. Dead. Now. Why add more buttons to cope with a morass that has nothing to do with LF photography and simply wastes bandwidth.
    As I understand it, the Lounge exists to so that there can be no reason to insert off topic banter in core LF forums. Removing it altogether is likely to result in more OT banter in the core forums.

changing the unified view button to only show "core forums" removes all the OT stuff unless you hit "new posts" or get daily. So all you would need to do is to always use the "core forums" button and the problem goes away as far as you're concerned.

I suspect part of the problem is calling it the lounge as there seem to be a lot of comparisons being made with APUG. Perhaps it should be called "Trivia" then perhaps people wouldn't be so inclined to post there!

The Lounge should go.

Now that it has been purged from my view (ask the moderators to do it for you), I don't know waht caused this thread to start, but I do completely agree with it.

Why? there are people who cirlce around the lounge with little or no true contribution to the rest of the forum. Some of these people take pride in the munber of forums they have been kicked off in the past, and I don't think we should be providing them asylum here.

Get rid of it and stick to LF photography...

---Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Tjugen
    One of the great things about this forum has been the large "signal-to-noise" ratio" here: This is where you go to find information and answers, and even opinions about LF questions.

The "Lounge" is pure noise: Nothing relevant, and certainly nothing that couldn't have been better slugged out in another forum.

I beg you: KILL THE LOUNGE!
    While I agree the topics and threads in the lounge go off in unusual directions, I don't agree it should be removed. It may be misused and/or abused at times, but overall it's worthwhile to have it for subjects somewhat related, or not. All you have to do is decide not to view it or read the threads. It's not the lounge that's bad, only those who post or respond to off-topic threads. Don't shoot the piano player if people can't dance.
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

Nah - keep the lounge. Get rid of the whiners - that's where all the bandwidth goes.. :-)
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog