Thread: Screen DTS 1030 drum scanner: opinions needed...

Screen DTS 1030 drum scanner: opinions needed...

Ciao everybody
    I've been offered (for a very good price, I think: 500$) a SCREEN DTS 1030 drum scanner in good working conditions and with a Macintosh Quadra 800.
    I've done some researches but found little informations about this scanner...does anyone have experience with this model? Pros and cons? Advices? Difficulties to find parts on the used market?...I'm interested in the performances too, expecially compared to the Howtek D4000/D4500 series (I scan only 8x10" slides)...

Thank you!!!!

Ciao
    Marco
    Last edited by Marco; 20-Jun-2006 at 05:35.

Re: Screen DTS 1030 drum scanner: opinions needed...

Marco, a good price indeed if the machine is complete and includes the necessary software. It should perform on a par with the Howteks mentioned but I have no direct experience.

You should call Screen in Chicago and talk with with their tech support person ... Kristian if my memory is right and I don't have the info infront of me as I a out of town. She is very helpful.

Marco,

I'm a drum scanner operator. My scanner is an Optronics ColorGetter 3 Pro. It's closer to the Screen 1045.

From what I've read, the 1030 should work well for you. It should do a bang up job on chromes. I'm relatively sure that the drum is big enough to handle 10x8 film also.

The Mac Quadra is plenty of machine to handle to scanner. Just about anything will outrun a drum scanner. I suggest that you dedicate that computer to the scanner and transfer the files over a network to a different computer for image editing.

Do make sure you get everything - including a mounting station (makes it much easier to mount the film on the drum), a light table to put the mounting station on (makes it much easier to see what you are doing), and the calibration targets and software (if any). And of course all the cables!

The joy of the Screen is that Dainippon Screen (the company) still exists and still makes drum scanners. You can still get service and perhaps parts as well.

The only question I would have is whether or not the software that comes with the machine lets you make 16 bit files. But you probably don't need that if you aren't scanning negatives.

Basically, go for it. There are some learning curves, but they are about the same difficulty level as learning how to use a view camera. If I can do it, you can do it. Enjoy.

Bruce Watson

The DTS 1030 only does 8-bit scans. It does an excellent job with chromes. The d-max of 3.9 can handle all but the densest Velvia.

The last version of software and firmware for the DTS 1030 is 3.4. The versions of firmware and software must match in order for the computer and scanner to communicate. (Turn the scanner on and it will display the firmware version.)

The software has a number of "optional" modules (NegaColor, AI Channels). It is good to get everything. I think this is a complete list of diskettes:

DTS Scan Application, DTS Scan Plug-in, AI Channels, Nega Color Data, AI Channels for Nega, Preset Color Data for Nega, Preset Color Data for Posi, AI Channels for RGB, Preset Color Data for ICR

There may also be a firmware "Update Disk".

The drum size is 12x10.

Operation is fairly straightforward, but having the manuals is helpful.

Thanks to everyone, very very very useful advices!!!

Ciao
    Marco

Another question: what about the USM optical option? Is there the possibility to turn it off? Is it useful?

Thank you!!!!

Ciao
    Marco

Yes you can turn it off. With most scannng softwre you are much better off doing your sharpening in Photoshop. OTOH the most recent versions of Screen's software is one exception to that rule. it has excellent sharpening algorithms. While I still believe you should turn off USM with the most current Screen software it is worth taking a look at how it is owrking.