Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Focusing Screens

Re: Focusing Screens

" those sold with cameras or by camera manufacturers such as the Linhof Super Screen"

We have not made the Linhof Super Screen for over a decade. It is not available nor is the cover glass and you would not be able to stilkl find a dealer with one. The factory and we have not had one for many years. Linhof does supply a very fine ground glass with their cameras and does offer a Fresnel screen for them. The Fresnel is an accessory. It is not supplied with the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    " those sold with cameras or by camera manufacturers such as the Linhof Super Screen"

We have not made the Linhof Super Screen for over a decade. It is not available nor is the cover glass and you would not be able to stilkl find a dealer with one. The factory and we have not had one for many years. Linhof does supply a very fine ground glass with their cameras and does offer a Fresnel screen for them. The Fresnel is an accessory. It is not supplied with the camera.
    Will a ground glass on an old Master Technika (sn# 6485050 - not sure which year, but guess before 1990) be as fine/bright as the current one? Will it be a good idea to change to the current version of GG?

Quote Originally Posted by alexcong View Post
    Will a ground glass on an old Master Technika (sn# 6485050 - not sure which year, but guess before 1990) be as fine/bright as the current one? Will it be a good idea to change to the current version of GG?
    No, the older screen is not as bright, neither is the Fresnel. Yes you should see a difference, but not a dramatic one. If you had an older camera from the 50s to the 80s then you would.

Same with the marketing of the Beattie screen. They stated that it was "4 stops brighter". And is was, it was 4 stops brighter then the screen that they put into the old Beattie long roll cameras. But it was not 4 stops brighter then a contemporary gg/fresnel in most cameras of that day.

BTW, since we are both in N NJ you could stop by a compare the gg and fresnel to a current one. As long as you look at it in the plastic bag we would be happy to show you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Evans View Post
    Yanke Optics 4x5 camera screen (Fresnel+Ground Glass).
    From China/Ebay. Brilliant! Pun intended.
    Tony,
    Is that screen worth the $86?
    I've had it saved to my watch list for about three months now.

If anyone else has bought one, please chime in as well.
    Thanks

Yanke optics : I bought one for my crown but sent it back to China.
    Rigidity, grain and brightness are only acceptable. I have a Maxwell on a Rolleiflex; this is night and day.

However Yanke service is great, so you can try it and just send it back if you don't like it.

Ari,
    My comparison is with the screen that came with my new Shen-Hao 45IIa. The improvement is outstanding. However, I have no comparison with the Maxwells, although Harry is currently installing one on my Rolleiflex T.

I just ordered a yanke for my Deardorff. I use a f/9 lens as my main lens and the original GG is super dark. Hopefully this yanke screen will make an improvement. Anyone else own one?

I finally ordered a Yanke.
    Yes, they're great; you'll see a huge difference.
    I put one on my Toyo G and it lit everything up.
    It gets harder to see through when you're getting past the lens' image circle, but that's a good safety mechanism.
    Follow the installation instructions carefully, even though it might seem strange to put a clear plastic screen over the GG; and the GG is very thin, watch out for that, too.

As far as the high dollar screens for 4x5 I would opt for the Bill Maxwell Hi-Lux....super fine and very bright. I've had Bosscreens and Beattie that were installed on a few used camera's when I purchased them and was I ever disappointed with those-no comparison in use to the Maxwell. With cost always being a factor and not wanting to spend several hundred bucks I would opt for an Ultafine GG from Steve Hopf's. I have one on my Toyo 8x10 MII and it is far, far superior to any other 8 x10 screen or GG that I've ever used--although I'll admit that the original focus screen on a Kodak Master 8x10 is exceptional as well. The Utrafine GG is super fine in grain and very bright-a dream come true in focusing improvements-a fabulous GG for an 8 x 10 camera. I have the 4x5 version on a Linhof Kardan and I have a Maxwell Hi-Lux on my Master Tech--I can interchange either GG back assembly on either camera and be just as pleased with the Ultrafine in comparison to the Maxwell Hi-Lux, but the Maxwell is far more expensive--thus my recommendation on the Ultafine. All depends on whether you feel the need to spend big bucks or get the Ultrafine and save the majority of those big bucks.
    Joe Burke

http://www.hopfglass.com/

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

To add to the technology of today: I bought a Fresnel from a Chinese seller for $25, added to the ground glass, just put it on top with the fresnel surface directly on top of the back of the GG and got very clear view, a 200 % improvement.