Thread: SilverFast Ai6 problem with Microtek 1800f

SilverFast Ai6 problem with Microtek 1800f

All of sudden, SilverFast AI will only scan reflective materials on my Microtek. When I try to scan transparencies, I get an error message: "An error occurred at the start of the scanning process. Can't calibrate scanner." I thought maybe the calibration was the problem, so I tried to recalibrate with my Kodak IT8 target, but I got another error message: "Couldn't create the output file." I was successful at recalibrating with my reflective target, but I can't get the scanner to either scan a transparency or recalibrate using the IT8 tranny. Any ideas on how to solve this problem would be appreciated. (I did download the update of the software, in case there was a corruption issue, but still no luck.) Mike

Re: SilverFast Ai6 problem with Microtek 1800f

I realize that this is kind of like asking whether you have the scanner plugged in but since one never knows . . . do you have it set for transparency rather than reflective in the "General" tab?
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I've never gotten this message so can't comment directly. OTOH it could well be tht there is somethingin the light path of the calibration area ..... have you checked that?

Thanks for the ideas. The light path is clear, the light is on (and not flickering), it's set for transparency, and it's plugged in--though now that you mention it, the plug did come loose the day before, and I reseated it. That's curious because this morning, I tried to scan using Microtek's software as a test and I got this error code: "-704, Media (adapted equipment like ADF, TMA and film holder) not available." So I went back and unplugged everything, and followed the setup manual's directions for hooking up the cables/plug (in case it matters). Still no scan. Naturally this would happen on a deadline.

The only thng I can offer is to walk through the situation with you with my 1800f plugged in and going with both of us on the phone to see if we can figure it out. If you are running a Mac we will have a one-on-one if you ae on a PC it won't be exactly th same. See my PM

As a follow-up, Microtek said it no longer repairs any of its scanners, which may speak volumes about the nature of the scanner-manufacturing business, if not also of Microtek itself. Further, all of the local (D.C.) repair shops I contacted said no one in the area repairs scanners anymore. I guess scanners are now part of our throw-away society.

Hi,
    This thing gets funny with it's drivers from time to time. I would uninstall both sets of software and remove the entries from the registry..there is info about this at the Microtek website. My friend and I both have this setup and there have been occasional odd occurences because the driver becomes corrupted and this process always brings them back to normal. I think it is the updates which cause the problems. And I never do them anymore...EC

ask in the silverfast user forum