Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you avoid forgetting things?

How do you avoid forgetting things?

No matter how much I do large format photography, I seem still sometimes forget to do something. This is particularly likely if there are distractions, which is all too frequent. Most things you can't skip because you are forced to do them, but others can be inadvertently skipped if you are concentrating too hard on something else. The thing I seem to forget most often is putting my center filter on my wide angle lenses, I think because I started off without one, and its use has never becomee ingrained as habit. Of course, I often don't need it, but I want to decide whether or not to use it rather than just forgetting about it. Another thing that I sometimes forget to do is to remove the dark slide. Two other errors are not usually fatal because they come immediately to attention and just result in some wasted film. These are forgetting to close the preview lever, whence my shutter won't release, and, forgetting to put the dark slide back before removing the film holder, which can happen if I lay it down during exposure.

What I need is a simple mnemonic for essential things to check and some way to force myself to do the check each time. Does anyone have any good ways to do this?

Re: How do you avoid forgetting things?

since you always have to open the darkslide and close the preview lever, I doubt that forgetting to use a centre filter is due to a different reason.

As I get older I get more forgetful. But the more frequently I make images the less I forget to do something in the process. i.e. the best cure is to do something more frequently. Otherwise a check list to remind you but when you are in a hurry to catch the light things can always go wrong...

I am very absent minded and tend to get caught up in the moment. So when I began LF I used a checklist for the first ten or so times. After that it was second nature. Before using the checklist I wasted about a dozen sheets.

"A blank he lived, and a blank he died- he never remembered to pull the slide."
    Beaumont Newhall

I have no experience from checklists other than the note beside my front door saying 'remember to bring the cable release!'

Things which are always annoying and partly due to memory is:
    - exposing a color chrome sheet as if it was a b&w negative when doing both on the same scene
    - forgetting to change the ASA on the spotmeter for different films
    - not tightening all adjustments (camera and bellows) before pushing in the filmholder
    - not paying attention to where the tripod legs are and accidently kicking it after everything has been set up.

- when using a roll-film holder (shen-Hao 6x12)...not remembering if the current frame in the holder is exposed or not...'Did I wind up the film after making the exposure the last time???"
    - Mixing up the meaning of the white and dark side of the dark-slide. (For some reason I started out with black meaning it had not received any light and white meaning it had been exposed. Most people tell me they have it the other way around...)

If I did have a checklist I would probably forget to bring it.

Smile Re: How do you avoid forgetting things?

What?

Grin.

Actually the best way, for me, not to forget things is to have one and only one place to put each essential item in the camera bog, and always always put it back exactly where I got the item from the bag.

It's what my old wood shop teacher taught in high school. Your tools always go back to the same spot so you don't forget them. This also speeds up my set up time when I've got to make a picture fast, such as when the light is changing quickly. I don't have to think about where everything is, it's just there.

Think about how much better Moonrise would have been if Adams knew where his light meter was. HA ha ha.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Ha... I'm a youngester compared to some of the folks shooting LF, but I have the same problem(s) with forgetting things. Here's what I've tried:

1. Minimize distractions - leave the wife/kids at home. My family only likes snapshots anyways and won't stay quiet long enough for LF work. Growl, after a moment of friendliness, when looky-loos as "what are you doing... is that a camera?"

2. Shoot static objects - that way there will be plenty of time to set-up and check everything before releasing the shutter. ;-)

3. Check and double-check. Don't assume anything has been done until it has been verified.

4. Keep all equipment in one place - this was mentioned before and is what I consider to be ESSENTIAL. I keep each of my camera set-ups in separate bags/cases so they're all in one place when I need them. Each bag/case has its own cable release, meter, etc. The only thing I "share" between equipment is filters.

5. Shoot often; shoot consistently - this helps build the routine. I even tend to stay with the same couple of films. More than once I've re-set my meter to 800 ASA because I had a hankering to try out some really fast film, only to go back to Plus-X/FP-4 and forget to re-set the meter.

6. Never, ever set anything down - Keep everything in its place (within reason). Keep some things in relatively inconvenient places so they are not forgotten. For example, dark slides only have three possible places when I shoot - the film holder, on top of the bellows, or stuffed in the waistband of my pants. I KNOW that if I have a darkslide in my pants I won't forget to put it back in the filmholder!
    Last edited by BrianShaw; 15-Jun-2006 at 06:51.

Practice. Put your gear in the trunk of your car. Then get it out, set it up, do everything necessary to make an exposure without film in the holder, take down the camera, pack everything and put it back in your trunk. Do this 50 times in succession.

Will this kind of practice totally emliminate mistakes? No, but it will reduce them significantly.
    juan

juan,

LOL! It will also give the nieghbors something to look at!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

One thing I learned to do is test fire my shutter before pulling out the dark slide. If it does not fire, you did not close the preview lever. Do that every time and no more wasted sheets of film. Of course, that is one more thing to remember to do! I establish a routine and try to do everything in the same order every time. Do it enough and your brain will let you know if you are skipping a step.