Thread: Film Holder Problem - NEED ADVICE!

Film Holder Problem - NEED ADVICE!

Hello everybody,

Awhile back I bought some used Ansco 5x7 film holders....several of the film holders are in great condition but a few have paint chipping/flaking off of the metal backing which lies behind the film plane. Last night I decided that I would try to "fix" the flaking problem by painting over the areas with some enamel paint so I could use them.

Well, what I failed to realize was that the paint I used has a glossy finish (this was mentioned in a very inconspicous place on the bottle) so the areas I painted are now much shinier than the original finish. A friend suggested that I simply paint over the glossy paint with a black magic marker...which I did. The shininess is less pronounced but the areas are still quite different than the original finish.

My question is this...1) Will this have any effect on the resulting negatives (added density, etc) and 2) What's the ideal way to fix this problem?

Any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Christian

Re: Film Holder Problem - NEED ADVICE!

I seriously doubt the gloss will affect the image, but so long as you already have kind of a mess, I'd take very fine sandpaper to the top of the paint since gloss is only a surface phenomenon.

I've never actually tried to repair older holders, so pick up appropriately-sized salt grains (or, blocks) at your local pharmacy.

I would think, however, that there are two issues to keep in mind: reflectivity (too glossy will bounce light back into the film with which the anti-halation layer may or may not cope), and surface position.

You didn't mention whether you used a spray can or a brush. With two coats (new over old), I think I'd be tempted to carefully strip both and then repaint with a couple of very light applications of flat black spray. (Too heavy a single coat will turn the flat surface more glossy.) Try test-spraying on another surface to guage the proper distance.

Others who have actually done similar repairs may have additional/better ideas.

htswy,

I'm guessing that you're dealing with pretty small areas. A bit of paint thinner on a rag should degloss or maybe even remove the new enamel, then you can start over if you wish. While you can use a fine grit sandpaper, the possibility of fine paint particles generated by sanding getting into the light trap velvets is a sobering thought :-( FWIW I'd try the paint thinner, let it evaporate and use the holders just to see if the bare metal causes a problem before attempting to paint the septum---but thats just because I'm a lousy painter (just ask my Bride!)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White