Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommended MFA programs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Recommended MFA programs

It's that time, finally, when I'm starting to seriously look at grad schools. I've got my short list of schools scattered across North America and a couple elsewhere, but I know my knowledge of photo programs is incomplete. Are there any that anyone here would recommend based on personal experience? I would prefer a larger city to a small town at this point, preferring to do without a car, among other things. Other than that I want a program that is a) good and b)not unreasonably priced.

Recommendations, anyone?

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Re: Recommended MFA programs

One that comes right to mind is Massachusetts College of Art. It's an excellent program, the teachers are great, last I checked they would not crucify you for doing work that's less than 100% trendy, and it's a state school, so tuition is low. And it's in Boston. Teachers include Nick Nixon and Abe Morell.

No matter what, you're going to want to talk to students and look at the kind of work they're doing. It's easy to have a disasterous couple of years if you pick a program that's wrong for you.
    Last edited by paulr; 14-Jun-2006 at 09:36.

Quote Originally Posted by paulr
    It's easy to have a disasterous couple of years if you pick a program that's wrong for you.
    Excellent point. David, what specifically would you like to get out of an MFA program? Are there particular skills, experiences, professional connections, or whatever, that you are seeking? What would you like to be able to do when you're finished?
    Last edited by Oren Grad; 14-Jun-2006 at 09:40.

Photo Dilettante Donald Brewster's Avatar

I'm sure there are many programs that will fit your needs and talents. Keep in mind great photographers are not necessarily great teachers, so if you haven't heard of some of the faculty that shouldn't be a knock (and they haven't heard of you either). Many MFA programs are funded, so don't necessarily knock out applying to private or more expensive public universities. That said, three programs that I have observed and of which people I trust have spoken highly of include, in no particular order, University of New Mexico, University of Minnesota, and Stanford University. Yale's MFA program is also highly thought of, but I have no direct knowledge of it. While your portfolio is very important, the "arty" MFA programs are also in the business of making teachers and put a premium on being able to be articulate about your art. They are also looking to create a collegial atmosphere within the program so that the students learn from each other. That is usually less of a factor in the larger programs and more of a factor in the smaller ones. I wish you luck in finding the right place for you.

Scott Davis

One program I can highly recommend from direct personal exposure (pardon the pun) is Maryland Institute, College of Art. They have a tremendous faculty, and generally excellent facilities. Baltimore is the land of cheap living, and is a very artist-friendly town. I'd give it a look-see if you can.

It would probably be helpful, David, if you could describe your career objectives, so people familiar with the programs at the various schools could provide some insight on the fit between the schools' programs and your objectives.

I think what I'm looking for is a program that will allow me freedom and support to work extensively in both traditional and digital formats in a fairly self-directed manner. Larger cities are preferred, as they have certain resources and activity that I need for certain work that can't be found in small towns. By this I mean rental places, stylists, etc. I do not want a specifically traditional-type MFA program, as following my MFA I will likely pursue a doctorate in media arts studies. A program in a larger university would also be advantageous if the university offered good foreign language classes, specifically in Japanese.

At this point I am leaning most heavily towards Columbia College in Chicago. I like what I hear about it from its students, and I already know and love Chicago and have a lot of connections there. No language classes there, but I know of resources in the city for studying Japanese independently. I still have to visit there some time this summer/fall, but that won't be a huge problem.

Where I want to go is sort of a hybrid path split between working commercially in photography, film, and media consulting, and eventually teaching. It's sort of hard to explain, but it's becoming quite clear in my mind.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

i doubt there are any mfa programs that care at all about film vs. digital.

many of the departments are combined with the video department, which should give you some idea of their progressive nature.

i'm curious to hear more about the columbia program when you learn more.

An MFA gets you two different options. The obvious one is being more easily able to teach at University level. The other, which depends more on the school, is making connections that will get you more work after you graduate. If you want to use it for professional gain, then decide where you want to work and find a school offering an MFA program near there. Other than that way to choose a location, there are some big name Art & Design schools that you can carry that MFA to other locations after graduating; Parsons/New School, NYU, CUNY, Art Centre, and a few others fit that criteria.

There is also an annual National Portfolio Day. This is held at various schools and locations throughout the year. The top 30 or so Art & Design schools will usually have representatives there, with people you can speak with, critiques of your portfolio, or just catalogues that you can pick up. Even if you don't take a portfolio for review, it can be good to watch other people get critiqued. It is also a good way to meet a few professors, learn a little about the approach of each school, and put together some ideas.

Definitely try to visit any place you would consider attending. Hopefully you can do this through open house events, or get some sort of tour from one or more of your potential instructors. It can also be an eye opening experience to speak with current students, both at graduate and undergraduate levels.

I am going through this investigation currently. While I have a bit more to consider than just a photography emphasis, that is my major search emphasis. I still have not decided.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Moat
    Other than that way to choose a location, there are some big name Art & Design schools that you can carry that MFA to other locations after graduating; Parsons/New School, NYU, CUNY, Art Centre, and a few others fit that criteria.
    i'd put yale way at the top of that list.