Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My new 8x10 Dorff and lens...

Re: My new 8x10 Dorff and lens...

Quote Originally Posted by Ed K.
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!

*Hi Ed,

Thanks kindly for the note...

Advice:Best thing to do with a nice 'Dorf is to just start making images! You might like some things if you don't already have them:

*Am looking forward to LUGGING the beast out into the field... perhaps, this weekend. Working for a living really gets in the way of life!!!

A foam fitted case - like a Pelican. Mine travels on bumpy dirt roads with no damage

*Am headed out on Friday to do some case/backpack hunting.

Some levels for front and rear

*I have a small level from Home Depot for this... have you mounted levels in your camera?

A long air operated cable release so that you can step on it to do self portraits, which are a very cool way to get cooperative subjects so that you can start right away!

*Self-portrait! Scary! I value my lenses too much! But, I will pick up an air-released cable when I'm hunting for the case/backpack.

A compendium bellows - if you can't rig one, the Lee Filter holder compendium with self supporing bellows works very well for normal - tele lenses

*Am trying to rig up a Sinar bellows as a lens shade... I'll have to take a peek at the Lee version.

A nice custom dark cloth that fits around the rear and forms a tube plus some strong reading glasses for a quick loupe

*This I already have... picked up a really nice Calumet cloth from Rob Skeoch.

If you shoot black and white, and have no Jobo, skip the pain and just bite the bullet. Get the big drum and at least a CPA2 to turn it - you'll waste so much less film that way

*I'm not sure whether I want to get back into the darkroom end of things... so, for the time being, the negs will end up at a local pro-lab. The sad thing is that none of the local dealers carry the Jobo line in stock, which means you have to buy it to look at it! A sign of the times, I'm afraid.

A Harrison changing tent if you have to load on location - small, and excellent, plus easy to keep clean

*Have one already but don't intend on using it in the field. I'm going to "limit" myself to 10 exposures per day maximum (so, 5 holders will do it.) This will force me to really be critical of what I'm photographing and to really work on my technique. I plan on following this regimen for the first 6 months and then reassess down the road.

Some Wheaties for gear lugging, motivation to shoot great photos, and a tad of luck along with your talent.

*I'm hoping NOT to be a 60 pound weakling within a year! So, I've now let my Sherpa return home.

And otherwise, no matter what anyone says, you've got to at least shoot a few color slides to drop the jaws of anyone who disbelieves your camera's capability. Fun to tell them that they are looking at the piece of film that was actually in the camera when they ask you how you got that enlargement done!

*I've looked into ordering some color transparency film just for the purpose you have mentioned.... I'm looking forward to seeing one myself.

You're lucky to have a nice one. I paid for a very nice one but ended up with a user. The eBlah was not friendly to me on that deal, but it mine at least works great. Be thankful that you're not facing 6 months without your camera and two grand to restore it.

*Yes, I've waited and waited until the right one came along... and, finally, it did. The 5x7 Dorff with its reducing back is in very similar condition. So, I've been a pretty lucky fellow indeed. However, the 5x7's gearing is a tad bit jumpy so I'm tossing the idea of sending it in to Richard Ritter for adjustments during the winter months.

Ed, who did the work on your camera? Did it come back looking new... with new metal parts and all? $2G is sure a LOT of scratch!

It is such a simple camera to use, and it becomes a dear old friend very quickly. I think we should establish a registry and then give them names ( like the famous violins ); perhaps make a movie - "The Red Deardorff" or something? I'd bet if mine could talk, it would tell the tales of a couple dozen photographers who profited or attempted to reach new heights; Tales of joy, tales of bankruptcy, tales of madness and many stories of adventure. She doesn't kiss and tell however, her past only reveals her birthplace and first owner in Chicago.
    *If it's anything like the 5x7... it would be great. I'm thinking it'll just be a matter of getting use to the aspect ratio since I'm getting more and more use to the 5x7 ratio.

Well, you take the "Red Deardorff" and I'll take the "Red Dorff! Regardless, I have to agree with you about the ease of use of these cameras. Plus... they are genuine pieces of Americana Photographic history, which is pretty neat. I also wonder about the history of my camera... and all those before me who have produced awesome images with it! I'll have to look into the approximate production date of my camera. Perhaps, John Deardorff in Valpraisio, IND can tell me.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Poor Jack Deardorff - he probably gets these calls all the time - however yes, he will tell you when yours was made. No telling if you have the original front or not though - I see those come up on the 'blah lately...

For my part, I haven't wanted to be without it long enough to restore yet, however I do have a lead on somebody good. Many people who used to do this sort of work gave it up or have fallen behind schedule on doing it. When I have a new Wehman, or similar backup field camera, I'll have it restored. Mine is a user/beater that is light-tight. I do have a spare new bellows just in case. At least I don't worry about it while using it, so it gets used a bunch.

If you want to be sparing of film, you can always get the splitter pieces for your back to make 8x5 images. The only trouble is that it puts you at the more extreme side of movements.

Now you can get a 5x7 and 4x5 back, an extention box for the front for longer lenses or a body extender from Jack, and all the other wonderful goodies... or you can just put one nice lens on it and get shooting!

Best of luck and joy to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Capocheny
    Greetings All,
    The other lenses I have that can be used on this beauty include a 240 Nikkor f5.6 and 360 Symmar f6.8. I'm just waiting for a lens board adapter for use with these two lenses. The camera came with some out-dated Tri-X and one holder... so, I loaded the sucker before I left on a business trip this past weekend. What a feeling to be loading such a big sheet of film... quite different than 5x7 or 4x5!
    Congrats! I too went from 5x7 with 4x5 reducing to 8x10 and I scored a killer Deardroff also. I have the 360 lens and it is razor sharp from edge to edge and covers all the movement with no problems at all.

Oh yes the first time I loaded the 8x10 I was like wow! Then when I saw the negative for the first time I just had a tear in my eye!

And the contact print, well just amazing! Again congrats on the camera!
    Last edited by kjsphotography; 15-Jun-2006 at 21:38.

My 8X10 Dorff was delivered today It is in great shape. What a relief! The bellows look new, no brassing on the metal and the wood is beautiful with only a few light marks. I am happy with my purchase.

I will also be looking for a backpack, maybe the F-64. I know several people who use that one and seem to be quite pleased with it. I will make my lensboards now that the camera is here and I can fit them precisely. If I can pick up a few filmholders, I should be exposing film with the Dorff in the next week or two. My 8X10 film is scheduled for delivery tomorrow.

I'm sure anxious to process my first sheets of 8X10.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Ed K.
    Poor Jack Deardorff - he probably gets these calls all the time - however yes, he will tell you when yours was made. No telling if you have the original front or not though - I see those come up on the 'blah lately...

For my part, I haven't wanted to be without it long enough to restore yet, however I do have a lead on somebody good. Many people who used to do this sort of work gave it up or have fallen behind schedule on doing it. When I have a new Wehman, or similar backup field camera, I'll have it restored. Mine is a user/beater that is light-tight. I do have a spare new bellows just in case. At least I don't worry about it while using it, so it gets used a bunch.

If you want to be sparing of film, you can always get the splitter pieces for your back to make 8x5 images. The only trouble is that it puts you at the more extreme side of movements.

Now you can get a 5x7 and 4x5 back, an extention box for the front for longer lenses or a body extender from Jack, and all the other wonderful goodies... or you can just put one nice lens on it and get shooting!

Best of luck and joy to you.
    Hi Ed,

Is it Jack or John Deardorff? The card I have is for a John... And, yeah, he probably dreads the sound of the telephone every time it goes off! My camera was restored back about 12 years ago and there is a serial number on the slider. But, you're right... it's hard to tell whether everything is original on the camera.

I can understand why you wouldn't want to be without the camera without having something else to use in the meantime. When I picked up the 5x7, I was thinking of sending it back to have a thorough going over but, like you, I didn't want to do so before having something else to shoot with. Now, I have the 8x10 so the 5x7 can be sent off.

You might want to speak with Richard Ritter for the overhaul, Ed. I've heard some very, very good things about him. Jack/John Deardorff's company, D.P.P.I. Photographic Int., located in Valpraisio, IN also does restoration work. His pricing, sans metal parts replacement, runs in the neighborhood of US$850 IIRC. So, that's not too, too bad.

I've heard of people using splitters but I think what I'll do is to use 8x10 only when I feel the subject/scene dictates it. For the most part, I'm planning on shooting more with the 5x7 since I really do like the aspect ratio...

I've more or less made a promise not to pick up the reduction backs for the 8x10 for the time being since it would make the baby Dorff redundant. Besides, that's a lot of excess weight to lug around to shoot in the smaller format sizes.

And, the second promise is that I'll do some serious shooting with it before spending more money on other accessories. Hmmmm.... we'll see!

Thanks again for the advice Ed!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Quote Originally Posted by kjsphotography
    Congrats! I too went from 5x7 with 4x5 reducing to 8x10 and I scored a killer Deardroff also. I have the 360 lens and it is razor sharp from edge to edge and covers all the movement with no problems at all.

Oh yes the first time I loaded the 8x10 I was like wow! Then when I saw the negative for the first time I just had a tear in my eye!

And the contact print, well just amazing! Again congrats on the camera!
    Hi Kevin,

Isn't that 360 a HUGE chunk of glass? And, yes, it really is a razor sharp lens...

Since most of my lenses are mounted onto Technika boards (with the exception of the 360) I'm having an adapter board made to accept them. I would assume yours is mounted onto a 6x6 Dorff board? Mine's currently on a Sinar board and I'm tossing the idea round of having it re-mounted onto a Technika board but am a tad bit concerned about going this route. I've heard that it's not an issue though. The major advantage is that all of my lenses would then be usable on the 8x10. I'm just waiting for the adapter board to arrive before making up my mind.

I'll have a chance to see my first negative this weekend... can't wait to see the contact print either!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hopson
    My 8X10 Dorff was delivered today It is in great shape. What a relief! The bellows look new, no brassing on the metal and the wood is beautiful with only a few light marks. I am happy with my purchase.

I will also be looking for a backpack, maybe the F-64. I know several people who use that one and seem to be quite pleased with it. I will make my lensboards now that the camera is here and I can fit them precisely. If I can pick up a few filmholders, I should be exposing film with the Dorff in the next week or two. My 8X10 film is scheduled for delivery tomorrow.

I'm sure anxious to process my first sheets of 8X10.

Ben
    Hi Ben,

Good to hear and I wish you great light when using it.

Gads, that's got to be one big pack, is it? I wasn't sure of how/what I was going to use for lugging the camera around... maybe, I'll have to look into an F64 pack.

Unlike you... I'm not too competent in the art of woodworking. So, I'll have to just rely on picking them up either through John Deardorff or fleabay!

Good luck on your first sheet...

Cheers,
    Life in the fast lane!

Isn't that 360 a HUGE chunk of glass?
    That is an understatement!

I actually have all my lenses mounted on boards for my Canham 57 and I am using an adapter board. Everything seems to work perfectly with no problems. This way I can use either camera at any time without having to change the boards all the time.

Again congrats!

Kev

Quote Originally Posted by kjsphotography
    That is an understatement!

I actually have all my lenses mounted on boards for my Canham 57 and I am using an adapter board. Everything seems to work perfectly with no problems. This way I can use either camera at any time without having to change the boards all the time.

Again congrats!

Kev
    Hi Kevin,

HUGE understatement!

What size are the Canham 57 boards?

Did you find that you needed a spacer for mounting the lens? It seems that my 240 Nikkor f5.6 (in Copal 3) required one...

Thanks

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!