Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to test scanner performance

How to test scanner performance

My first post as a new member to this thread. Found this forum googling for answers on this subject and decided to ask after noticing some quite engaging and very informative topics here.

Well to start off, I got rid of my 8 year old Agfa Arcus II, a midrange flatbed primarily used for restoration work, after it started exhibiting vertical line noise in the mids to shadow regions of my scans. Bought a refurbed Epson 4870 and wanted to know if there was a definitive image/scan test that could determine any hardware defects or quality issues to look for since it is used. I've done the usual Photoshop Equalize test on a sample image scan to check for artifacts, none detected. Thought maybe some here know of something more indepth.

It's my second scanner and can only compare it to my Arcus which claimed a 68 billion color sensitivety. Don't know if the Epson has this, though it seems to exhibit more noise than the Arcus in the form of tiny hot red clustered 2-3 pixel size noise peppered throughout. The Equalize test on a scan of a blank sheet of white paper for checking scan area sweet spot shows quite a bit of noise over the Arcus. Don't know if this is a defect.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: How to test scanner performance

There was a brief test in the May/June 2005 issue of ViewCamera that included the Epson 4870. A reprint might be helpful if you want to try out some similar tests. The results the authors got then were near 2000 ppi resolution and near 2.5 DMax, quite less than Epson claims in their specifications. However, it should be a step up from your old AGFA.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat

Thanks, Gordon.

I'll check that review out. My main concern is what quality issues there are with refurbs. Since this is my first, not sure what to look out for. Not sure what acceptable noise levels in a modern flatbed are expected. Of course I realize that has a lot to do with dynamic range claims going by ViewCamera's Dmax numbers.

There are certainly a lot of ways one can crudely test optical equipment including scanners without getting fancy. However to do it seriously requires calibrated expensive test equipment, skill to use them, and a library of optical standards that anyone less than an optical engineer would have trouble understanding. One reason why in the past there have rarely been technical reports in any of the photography magazines with the exception of lenses. I've always thought the manufacturers like it that way too because as long as consumers can't effectly complain about listed specifications, they can get away with looser product quality and testing. Just think of how long the community of scanner users has doubted the usefullness of most of the Dmax specifications. Those running marketing and sales of course likely exploit that if they think it might increase sales in even the tiniest amount. ...David

You can run a Dmax test just like the one we did for very little cost by purchasing the same Stouffer Step Wedge and you should get pretty much the same results. Doing a resolution test is trickier siply because a genuine USAF test target costs more money. PM me with any specific questions you might have. Your new scanner should give you scans that allow you to easily print 4x5 negs and trannies up to 8x10 or 11x14 and perhaps a bit largr depending on how critical you are.

If you are pleased with the results you are getting you might want to see if you can get hold of an expensive copy of Silverfast Ai for the scanner if it didn't come with same as you should find it easier to use than the provided Epson software (although the current edition which is available for download is much better) for getting maximum results out of your hardware.
    Last edited by Ted Harris; 13-Jun-2006 at 13:26.

Thanks for the helpful responses.

I like the images I'm getting, even 35mm negs. The color and dynamic range I'm pulling out of my 10-15 year old Kodak Royal Gold 100 negs look almost professional compared to the horrid optical 4x6 prints I judged and condemned my photography skills with back then. They aren't as sharp as the prints but then I'm zooming in at 400% on 3200ppi 48bit tiffs. Those dang review sites get me to do this. I think I just lose perspective. I mean what do you expect for $200, a Howtek drum scan?

I've seen the photo-i review on this model and knew what to expect compared to the likes of a Nikon film scanner. I've researched quite a bit through the years and agree with the comments on how misleading from a technical stand point manufacturer's specs can be.

I just expected a bigger improvement in flatbed scanner quality compared to the Arcus of 8 years ago. However, the Epson film capture IS a huge improvement in this respect. At least now I can tell if I took bad shots back then from the data I'm pulling out of these negs. For $200 I can't complain.

I updated the Epson driver and its color controls, especially the curve and histogram edit, are almost as refined as Photoshop's at grabbing and previewing all the data possible. The neg color rendering is so much better and scene accurate than my old prints I don't even have to fuss with a custom profile. I also updated Silverfast SE but found it unusable for its subpar previews editing highlite and shadow detail.

I'm sure Silverfast Ai must be a big improvement. I've heard so many good things about this powerful software as far back as '97 when I worked in prepress.
    Last edited by Tim Lookingbill; 13-Jun-2006 at 22:05.

Ted,

a good friend of mine is looking to the V700 for MF & LF scanning. Can you do multisampling with Silverfast & the V700?.....and how well does it actually work in real world use?

Thanks,

Tim -

For $200, if the scanner is in good working order, I think the 4870 refurb is one of the best values out there. If there is a problem, you do have the security of a factory warranty from Epson. One thing I would encourage you to do is to test your scanner to find if shimming/adjusting your film holder height will improve sharpness. With many of the scanners, it can make a noticable improvement.

>>Can you do multisampling with Silverfast & the V700?.....<<

This feature is not available in Silverfast SE (which comes with the 700) or Ai (which comes with the 750). The latter was very surprising to me. This feature seems to be the hook to get you to upgrade to SE plus or Ai Studio.

I would encourage anyone considering Vuescan or Silverfast to download their free demo versions of the software and use them for a while. You can read lots of recommendations but the only way to know if your working style and the software's interface are compatible is to try the demo version.

Doug

Thanks Doug. I'll pass that along.

David,

Just now in the middle of putting the scanner through its paces. So far I am running it with the Epson software but will try with Silvverfasg SE as well. AFAIK SE will allow you to do multipass scanning with most scanners. It looks like the resolution will be a big improvement over the 4990 IF you scan at 6400 spi which, of course, will give you a gigantic file. I say 6400 spi because there are indications that the higher resolution lens only kicks in at that spi. More to come as we continue to shake it down.