Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pyrocat HD in Glycol, Step bt Step Mixing Instructions

Beverly Hills, California

Question Pyrocat HD in Glycol, Step bt Step Mixing Instructions

Is there anyone who can post here, as a resource, A step by step mixing instruction for a Pyrocat HD stock solution A preparation in glycol, inclucluding each component chemistry amounts, the order of mixing, and the recommended glycol temperatures at each stage?

(Hopefully, your recipe will be for a Pyrocat HD stock A solution equivalent in development action to the standard Photographers Formulary/Sandy King Pyrocat HD stock A solution.)

There are various tidbits how some do this on APUG and Paula And Michael's Azo website, but nothing comprehensive enough to go from step one to finish with confidence.

Thanks in advance for any and all input.
    Last edited by Andre Noble; 11-Jun-2006 at 09:37.

Re: Pyrocat HD in Glycol, Step bt Step Mixing Instructions

Andre,

I can provide detailed instructions for Hypercat A solution:

Add 10g catechol and .5g ascorbic acid to 90ml room temp glycol, and heat with stirring until dissolved. That's it!

This solution will be about 2X as concentrated as Pyrocat HD, and can share the same B solution. If you want to make a working solution roughly equivalent to a 1:1:100 dilution of Pyrocat HD, use a 1:2:200 dilution of Hypercat.

Jay
    Last edited by Jay DeFehr; 11-Jun-2006 at 14:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre_941
    Is there anyone who can post here, as a resource, A step by step mixing instruction for a Pyrocat HD stock solution A preparation in glycol, inclucluding each component chemistry amounts, the order of mixing, and the recommended glycol temperatures at each stage?

(Hopefully, your recipe will be for a Pyrocat HD stock A solution equivalent in development action to the standard Photographers Formulary/Sandy King Pyrocat HD stock A solution.)

There are various tidbits how some do this on APUG and Paula And Michael's Azo website, but nothing comprehensive enough to go from step one to finish with confidence.

Thanks in advance for any and all input.
    Andre,

You will find instructions for mixing Pyrocat-HD in Glycol in the following thread on APUG.

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthrea...ocat-HD+glycol

If you are going to use Glycol you might might also want to consider the Pyrocat-MC formula. See
    http://www.apug.org/forums/showthrea...ight=Pyrocat-M

Both formulas mix easily and readily following the instructions.

Sandy
    Last edited by sanking; 11-Jun-2006 at 16:03.

Sandy and Jay, thank you very much. Sandy, I reproduced your instructions from that link here. Now THIS looks like it will be fun (while making me feel like a real photographer in the Mathew Brady tradition.)

Per Sandy King:

"MIXING STOCK SOLUTIONS OF PYROCAT HD (PART A) WITH GLYCOL

On mixing Pyrocat-HD in Propylene Glycol. As many of you know, mixing Stock Solution A of Pyrocat-HD in Propylene Glycol provides stability of the stock solution on the order of years, similar to HC-110. Here is a very safe way to do this, measured for the 1000ml kit.

1. Weigh out all of the chemicals for Stock A. 50.0g of pyrocatechin, 10.0g of sodium metabisulfite, 2.0g of phenidone and 1.0g of potassium bromide.

2. Pre-heat in a water bath 750ml of propylene glycol to about 150F.

3. Add the pyrocatechin to the glycol and stir until dissolved. Should take no more than about a minute.

4. Now add the phenidone and stir. Should dissolve completely in about a minute.

5. Add the bromide and sodium metabisulfite to about 50-75ml of hot water at about 120F. Stir until completely dissolved, then mix with the propylene glycol solution.

6. Top off the solution with glycol to 1000ml..."

Thanks again Sandy
    Last edited by Andre Noble; 11-Jun-2006 at 18:44.

Andre, and anyone else interested,

I provided mixing intructions to the folks at PF for Pyrocat-HD and Pyrocat-MC in glycol and they mixed up liter bottles of the two solutions for me today. This afternoon I exposed three sheets of 5X7 fillm identically and tonight developed one in the original Pyrocat-HD in water, one in Pyrocat-HD in glycol and a third in Pyrocat-MC.

The first two are virtually identical in density, contrast range and stain color and density, as I would have expected from my own comparison tests. That means that when using the glycol based -HD any development data one might have worked out for the water mixed version can be used without any modification. The Pyrocat-MC negative has a slightly higher visible contrast range, and the stain is more intense, so some slight decrease in development times should be anticipated when using it.

Also, I asked Bud about date stamping the developer and there will be no problem in doing that. He did mention, however, that the Pyrocat-HD kits they have been mixing in the past are generally sold withing two weeks of when mixed.

In any event I imagine PF will be offering both of these kits for sale within a fairly short period of time. Check with them for details as to exact date and pricing.

Sandy
    Last edited by sanking; 14-Jun-2006 at 21:32.

I was wondering Sandy, will using automotive anitfreeze work also, specifically Prestone LoTox antifreeze in place of lab grade propylene glycol?
    Last edited by BBW; 14-Jun-2006 at 23:00.

For those who want to try Hypercat or 510-Pyro, but don't have scales, you can order a pre-measured kit of the dry chemicals from Artcraft Chemicals:

http://www.artcraftchemicals.com/scr...FILE=/kits.htm

for 250ml, 500ml, or 1 liter of stock solution. The premeasured kits are simply added to propylene glycol or TEA at room temp, and heated with stirring until the chemicals have dissolved. I get my propylene glycol and TEA from:

http://www.chemistrystore.com/propylene_glycol.htm

The glycol and TEA will last forever, and a gallon will make enough developer to develop up to 3800 rolls/8x10 sheets of film. This is an extremely simple and economic way to make up a developer, and offers the best of both the prepackaged, and homebrewed worlds.

Jay

P.S. the attached images are TMX negs developed in Hypercat.

Sandy, that is good news, all. Perhaps Pyrocat in glycol will become the new standard.

Quote Originally Posted by sanking

He did mention, however, that the Pyrocat-HD kits they have been mixing in the past are generally sold withing two weeks of when mixed.

Sandy
    I know that is the case for their Pyrocat HD in water kits, but certainly not the case for their Wimberly WD2D+ kits, many of which sit on dealer shelves after Photographers Formulary ships them.

Sandy,

Thanks again for diverting your time to look into all this.
    Last edited by Andre Noble; 15-Jun-2006 at 06:16.

Quote Originally Posted by BBW
    I was wondering Sandy, will using automotive anitfreeze work also, specifically Prestone LoTox antifreeze in place of lab grade propylene glycol?

There have been some discussion of this in the past. See one of the most recent threads on the topic here. http://www.apug.org/forums/showthrea...thylene+glycol

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    There have been some discussion of this in the past. See one of the most recent threads on the topic here. http://www.apug.org/forums/showthrea...thylene+glycol

Sandy
    Thanks Sandy. Time to satisfy the itch to play again