Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Markins Q-ball M20 compared to Arca Swiss B1

Markins Q-ball M20 compared to Arca Swiss B1

Hi this is my first post in this forum.
    I'm looking for a good ballhead for my Gitzo 1257 for support of a Ebony 45S.
    I'm almost settled for the Arca Swiss B1 until I came across the web site of Markins while browsing for the Markins tripod base. I was drawn to the attention of the Markins Q-ball M20 which has more or less similar spec cf. the Arca Swiss but only 75% of the weight. Then I read about web reviews of how good the Markins ballheads are. As a matter of fact, for my region the shipping cost of a Markins tripod base and the base plus the ballhead are the same Then I read about various stories of how the Arca B1 freeze up, bla bla bla...
    My question is really this:
    1. Has anyone here used the Markins M20, and how does it compared to the Arca B1?
    2. Is the Arca B1 freeze-up problem that bad, or is it a thing of the past, largely solved in the new "PMA" model?
    Thanks to everybody...

Re: Markins Q-ball M20 compared to Arca Swiss B1

Add the Really Right Stuff ballheads to your list too. The Arca lock-ups are gone with the newer heads, it was a period of defective sleeves.

Any ballhead will lock up if you jam it though...

Also review which clamp you want (screw or latch) as there is a difference in adaptability.
    Last edited by Frank Petronio; 10-Jun-2006 at 07:14.

Tim,

I actually use the Markins M10 in place of my Arca B1 - with both 4x5 (Technikardan and Toyo 45) and also 8x10 (Phillips Compact II @ 8lbs or so + lens).

I find it at least as sturdy/rigid as the Arca B1. And, in fact, I find it also locks down tighter.

So I would think you would have no problem at all with the M20...

I almost bought the M20, as the M10 was quit a bit smaller and lighter than the Arca, but as I was looking for lightest weight possible, I went for the the M10 in the end, and it does just fine. I did have an acratech, which was generally just fine and really light. Great if you are working around sand etc. But it did have a touch of flex - not looseness, but the metal had slight amount of flex to it, noticeable with an 8x10 with say 14" extension used. The Markins doesn't have this at all.

(BTW - I still have the B1 and a honking big gitzo tripod for the days I need something big and heavy...)
    Last edited by tim atherton; 10-Jun-2006 at 07:41.
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Tim,

I've been using a RRS BH 40 Pro with their B-2 Pro II clamp on top of a Gitzo 1227
    with my 45S. Excellent and easy to operate with low center of gravity and high
    quality. I have several ball heads and this is my favorite light weight rig. The
    RRs quick release would be a good option also.

I cannot comment on the Markins Q-ball, but I do use a RRS BH-55 LR with my Ebony SV45U and love it. I was never one for ball heads since I had heard discontent over the years from Arca BH users until I had the opportunity to try a friend's RRS. They have plates especially made for Ebonys as well as a whole catalog of other attachments, etc. I would seriously consider looking at RRS. Their web site does not show all that they have when compared to their catalog. If interested, I would call and ask to speak with Joe Johnson as he helped customized my order for all my different cameras.

but I do use a RRS BH-55 LR with my Ebony SV45U and love it.

At close to 2lbs, it's no doubt nice and solid, but that's hellish heavy...
    Last edited by tim atherton; 10-Jun-2006 at 08:32.
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

Quote Originally Posted by tim atherton
    but I do use a RRS BH-55 LR with my Ebony SV45U and love it.

At close to 2lbs, it's no doubt nice and solid, but that's hellish heavy...
    Tim, the difference of less than a pound is not hellish heavy for me. What concerned me the most when buying a ball head for the first time was stability and availability of the system to adapt to my many different camera models, plus I liked the idea the company was based in California since I travel there periodically. I think I read somewhere that Markins are actually made in Korea. If I had the opportunity to look at a Markins at the time, I would have considered it, but the opportunity did not present itself. It is nice to hear there are other alternatives out there when looking to upgrade ones equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by tim atherton
    Tim,

I actually use the Markins M10 in place of my Arca B1 - with both 4x5 (Technikardan and Toyo 45) and also 8x10 (Phillips Compact II @ 8lbs or so + lens).

I find it at least as sturdy/rigid as the Arca B1. And, in fact, I find it also locks down tighter.

So I would think you would have no problem at all with the M20...

I almost bought the M20, as the M10 was quit a bit smaller and lighter than the Arca, but as I was looking for lightest weight possible, I went for the the M10 in the end, and it does just fine. I did have an acratech, which was generally just fine and really light. Great if you are working around sand etc. But it did have a touch of flex - not looseness, but the metal had slight amount of flex to it, noticeable with an 8x10 with say 14" extension used. The Markins doesn't have this at all.

(BTW - I still have the B1 and a honking big gitzo tripod for the days I need something big and heavy...)
    Thanks Tim for the useful information. At least we have one Markins user here.
    1. How big is the M10 camera platform? Is it shorter than the M20 which I think is 60mm? Is this a bit too short for the 4x5 cameras?
    2. You mentioned rigidity and sturdiness, but how do you compare the tension control and the smoothness of movement between the M10 and the B1?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Timothy So; 10-Jun-2006 at 09:21.

Quote Originally Posted by darr
    Tim, the difference of less than a pound is not hellish heavy for me. What concerned me the most when buying a ball head for the first time was stability and availability of the system to adapt to my many different camera models, plus I liked the idea the company was based in California since I travel there periodically. I think I read somewhere that Markins are actually made in Korea. If I had the opportunity to look at a Markins at the time, I would have considered it, but the opportunity did not present itself. It is nice to hear there are other alternatives out there when looking to upgrade ones equipment.

I use RRS plates with both ballheads it's a "cross-system" system on several different cameras

And I'm fairly sure the RRS plates are manufactured in China? or at least the Far East somewhere (and possibly the ballheads too??) - I may be mistaken on that though

As for weight, I often work by having the camera on the tripod over my shoulder and wandering around and just a small shoulder back with film holders and lenses. With the 8x10 on top, that close to a pound extra starts to show itself after a while...

But if I was replacing the B1, I would probably go for one of these newer heavier ones like the RRS head

Tim,

I'll have to measure the platform - but it works just fine for me. The smoothness I would say is as good as, if not slightly better than the Arca. Tension control feels very slightly different in use (hard to describe) but again, I'd say it's as good. In addition, with the B1, when I am carrying it with the camera over my shoulder as mentioned above, it's always head a tendency to creep with an 8x10 on - so after 30 minutes, it's flopped down to 90 degrees - no matter how hard you tighten it down . I had to get one of the plastic slip in collars Kirk Systems makes for them in order to combat this. But with the Markins, as long as it's tightened, I've never had it do this

tim, the plate on the M10 is 52mm - I'd never really though about it - it seems fine. On the Phillips I have a very short plate (2 1/4" or something), Same on the Toyo. and on the Technika I have a very long plate because of that particular camera design (8" or such) - it works fine with all of them.

I imagine with a bigger ball, the M20 might give you slightly better tension control, with the bigger surface area of the ball the "grip" onto - but that's just a guess.

I'd guess, based on the M10, the M20 would actually be slightly better than the Arca B1 in a slightly ligher/smaller (cheaper?) package.

Mind you, I've had my Arca for a good few years and, despite the odd lock up, it has worn well.