Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glue Separation?

Re: Glue Separation?

Thank you all very much for the feedback. It was a learning experience. Based on the comments, I've looked up the S.K. Grimes (http://www.skgrimes.com) and Focal Point (http://www.focalpointlens.com) Web sites and decided that if I can get a lens like that described for $50 or less it might be worthwhile to have it repaired. Otherwise I'll pass ...

Craig

Another option for lenses with separation -- I've read about this being done on Sonnar lenses for Leica mount cameras, but it seems applicable to LF as well. If you're up to disassembling the glass from the cells, and the separation is the clean, "soap film" appearance type (what happens with modern cements when they lose adhesion on one glass surface), you can remove the glass from its cell, wick an oil with matching refractive index into the separation line (carefully, so it fills rather than trapping a bubble), button everything back up, and go enjoy your bargain lens.

The effort involved is non-trivial, but it's a great deal less work (and risk) than recementing, and according to the source of the report I read (Nicolas Douez, over on nelsonfoto.com) it has worked very well for him (on lenses that were worth the effort, that is, very good if not for the separation).
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

I've done the oil trick on a 150 sironar I got (really cheap) worked like a charm, bit of work, and I cleaned all the elements while I had them out, cleared up a slight foggy look through the lens. I have a componon 360 5.6 that has one little snowflake, about 3/8", on the rear element. Damned if I can see any effect on 8x10 negs shot with it, and it sure brought the price low enough ($50) that I don't mind using a packard on the front of it. Of course a month later, I bought a 360 5.6 symmar, so now th 360 is permanently mounted in a toyo lensboard for the 4x5.

erie