Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Howdy and Lens Recs for 300mm

Howdy and Lens Recs for 300mm

Great forumn, glad to be a member.

Anyway, I'm finally piecing together my 8x10 and am at the back breaker of finding the lens I want in range. I'm fond of rodenstock and am far from rich so finding a mc N seems like the way to go as I've had a hard time finding a caltar II (which I hear is comprable.) But I want to hear oppinions, Sironar vs Schneider why not even throw in Nikon while your at it. Why do you shoot with what you do and do you think the sironar n is a great "normal" lens with good versitility for 300mm. It'll be going on a cambo SC II'm fixing up. Also any recomendations on where to find backs and or Bright Screens.

Any input is much appreciated.

Re: Howdy and Lens Recs for 300mm

I have a 300mm Caltar II-N MC. With a bit of patience it should be possible to find a clean one for less than $500 under either the Caltar II-N or Sironar-N labels.

It's a very fine lens. It was my choice because I happen to really groove on the way that the late-model Rodenstock plasmats render out-of-focus backgrounds. If I couldn't get a Rodenstock, a Schneider Apo-Symmar would be my next choice. I don't care for Nikkors or Fujinons.

But if you're not into subtleties like that, any of the late model, multicoated, 300mm plasmats from Rodenstock, Schneider, Nikon, or Fuji will give you a sharp picture and plenty of room for movement on 8x10.

IMHO Caltars are fine lenses. Other lenses you might consider that work very well on
    8x10 in the 300/305/12" range that won't (or hpefully shouldn't) break the bank are:

Kodak Commercial Ektar
    Goerz Dagor
    Schneider G-Claron
    Wollensak Velostigmat
    Schneider Symmar double convertible
    Ilex Acuton

Condition of the glass & shutter are everything, of course. My 300 of choice is currently a very elderly Goerz Dagor in a Compound Shutter recently gone over by Carol Miller.

I hope this helps!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

SF Bay Area 94303

Also, if you don't need bucket loads of coverage, f 9.0 300M Nikkor. Good if you have to move further than those 50 yards from the car. Also Fujinon f 9.0 300C.

Thanks for all the recs.

I've recently decided that being a poor youngin will require me to sacrifice field cameras and light lenses for price range bargains. Accordingly I've started running with weights in a backback to equal the roughly 27 pounds of equipment I'll be lugging.
    I find it somewhat hilarious.

Tripod head attached to back of motorcycle coming this summer.

I bought a B&L 12 1/2" Rapid Rectillinear triple convertible (20" and 28") for $15.50. Can't get much cheaper than that. It' s become my favorite lens.
    juan

Scott Davis

Another fantastic lens in the 300mm range is the Kodak Ektar 12" F4.5 . Lens the size of a grapefruit, weighs a ton, comes in an Ilex #5 shutter, but has wonderful oofas (Out Of Focus Areas) and is super bright on the groundglass.

Any of the standard (Schneider, Rodenstock, Fuji, Nikon) 300mm MC plasmats in a relatively recent (last 20 years or so) incarnation will do an excellent job for 8x10. However, these are substantial pieces of glass, generally in #3 shutters. If you're willing to give up a little screen brightness for size and weight, the Fujinon 300C f8.5 is a very fine lens. It's in a copal #1 and uses 52mm filters, as does the equally fine Fujinon 450C f12.5. The coverage is quite good, somewhere around 380mm if I remember correctly.

Will you be shooting color or B&W? If B&W, you can do really nice work with single coated lenses that have aged a few generations. Most Wollensaks and Ilex are way undervalued, and Kodaks are only a bit more expensive.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

"...Also any recomendations on where to find backs and or Bright Screens."

For good, low cost screens go to www.satinsnow.com.

Best,
    Helen