Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Landscape/nature near Orlando, FL

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

Re: Landscape/nature near Orlando, FL

Quote Originally Posted by j.e.simmons
    Florida now is not the west. You have to adjust your expectations when photographing in this state. Clyde Butcher told me that he photographs what is here now. You have to adopt that attitude (of course, Clyde's here is usually a place the rest of us can't get to.)
    juan
    -snip-

I stopped in his studio in the middle of the swamp, and that area of Florida is pretty neat to look at. Have a wee bit of bug spray in hand.

As for neat spots in Florida, after spending a week in the Kissimee / Coco Beach area (after you've driven 3,000 miles to reach a place, anything within a 2-3 hour drive is "local" to me. ) Didn't find much that grabbed me until I left the area.

Also, in some places you might think are neat to go - well, security is so tight around Cape Canaveral in the post 9/11 era - well, it just isn't much fun.

My answer is get up real early, and take a long drive down to the Keys. There's a million and one sites to shoot down there. Worth the effort, IMO.

joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

Quote Originally Posted by j.e.simmons
    . . . of course, Clyde's here is usually a place the rest of us can't get to.
    juan
    Or wouldn't get to even if we could. How he's still alive, given the alligators, snakes, and lightning he regularly encounters as he stands in swamp water up to his chest is beyond me.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis
    Or wouldn't get to even if we could. How he's still alive, given the alligators, snakes, and lightning he regularly encounters as he stands in swamp water up to his chest is beyond me.
    I think you're right, Brian. I'll admit that I'm one who lacks Clyde's "dedication". Walking in another man's shoes can be instructive, but I draw the line when they're filled with swamp muck.
    Last edited by Ralph Barker; 4-Jun-2006 at 10:28.

To add injury to insult, late in the day when you would normally shoot is when the hordes of blood-sucking insects come out. Take lots of repellant.

Thanks Brian and all for your responses and suggestions. Initially I wondered if it would be worth the hassle of lugging around everything, but have decided there are photographic opportunites where ever you are. I'll probably check our Hillsborough St. park and will check online for many of the other suggestions.

Humid conditions I can do without, but then perhaps June isn't as bad as August? :-) Just something I'll have to deal with, along with the mosquitos.

Turns out I've scheduled things so 2 of the days I'll be there I'll be free after lunch so I should have time to explore and reach either coast. The furthest east I've ever shot LF is Tucson... so I'm looking forward to exploring. And at least for me, it's the exploring, the persuit and "being there" that I enjoy the most out of photography; getting a nice image is bonus!

Thanks again for the discussion and if anything turns out, I'll try and report back.
    Lon

Try the Disney Wilderness Preserve (http://disney.go.com/disneyhand/envi.../preserve.html) which is right outside where you will be. Check in a the office and they can tell you how to get to various parts of the preserve. There is really a lot to see (and photograph) there.

The Summer heat is a bit much if you are used to Northern conditions, but getting out in what's left of natural Florida it can be very rewarding. Any of the state parks are worth visiting, they've won a number of awards, and for good reason.

I get out quite a bit in the wilderness here in Central Florida, but you have to be ready for it to be different than the rest of the country. Our forests are different, and the general lack of hills is a bit off putting at first, but you get used to it. It is a different, and quite rare, wildness here, but it is rapidly disappearing so come and see it while it still exists because next week they are putting in another suburban enclave and two Walmarts!

- Randy
    Last edited by reellis67; 5-Jun-2006 at 13:18.

All,

Thanks again for all the tips... humidity, mosquitos and all - thank goodness it's only 80 degress. But a big no thanks to ALBERTO... my visions of at least attempting photography today was thwarted by wind and rain. I hope to venture out Wednesday when things have hopefully passed. I hope to visit Hillsborough St Park then.

Thanks again,
    Lon