Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4x5 Scanner on the cheap

4x5 Scanner on the cheap

All,
    With the intro of the new epson 750; Im hoping that prices should start to fall on the older/lower end models. Im looking for a scanner that will do 4x5 - just for web use, I am not worried about making scans for printing....Any suggestions ?
    I saw that HP makes a scanner that will do 35mm batch and 4x5 for around $150 - any experiences with this ?

Thanks !

Re: 4x5 Scanner on the cheap

Hi Steve, I think you are thinking of the HP ScanJet 4890.
    I have the HP 4890 since a few days back and have scanned 4x5" chromes and 120-film with good result according to my standards. I have not scanned at higher resolution than 1200 dpi not to get into memory problems due to my computer.

The 4890 feels very robust, the lid which includes the OH-scanner is quite heavy...does not feel cheap. There are three filmholders in A4 size. 1) 35mm filmstrips, 2) Mounted frames 3) 2 strips of continuous 120 film (works well even for 6x12) and one place for 4x5" slides.

I have not adjusted any colorsettings yet (would actually like to get some info about this) and noticed that my scans seem to go to blue in darker areas and redish in some of the midtones. But this is possible to adjust I guess.
    As for the software that comes with the scanner I have so far only used the 'scanner' and then used the PhotoSW to store the tiff-file to disk. I then Open the file from within PhotoShop.

Here are some of my first 4x5" chrome scans (1200 dpi) with this scanner with minor postprocessing in photoshop: (the photo.net-link is a bit slow some times)

Raukar, SWEDEN
    Hold it for me while I dance
    Boat & flowers

Please note that the Raukar-picture is very bluish in the original slide. (As was my velvia-slide shot in 35mm also)
    Kind regards, Patrik
    Last edited by Patrik Roseen; 1-Jun-2006 at 07:13.

Patrik,
    Thanks a lot for your reply. The images look excellent ! Would it be possible for you to send me a full sized crop area of one of the scans ? I would appreciate it greatly.

Thanks !
    Steve

Hi Steve, Thanks...I was a bit worried the pics would discourage people from considering this scanner...
    (BTW the 'Boat and flower' pic originates from a 6x12 on rollfilm using my ShenHao 6x12 back)

Sure I can send you a sample...but I will not be able to send you anything until tomorrow. I need to work late preparing for a meeting tomorrow morning :-o

Steve, please drop me mail where you explicitly tell me what you are looking for...I assume that maybe you want to have a smaller part scanned at maximum dpi or are you satisfied with 1200 dpi? Also tell me how large file you think your mailbox can handle. Evening greetings from Sweden, Patrik
    Last edited by Patrik Roseen; 1-Jun-2006 at 12:36.

Another option is the Epson 4870. I've had scans done in both color and B&W and had good results. The scanner can be found on Ebay for between $150-250 used. Email me and I could send you some crops as well.

Actually...
    Sorry guys, I forgot to look at one VERY important piece of info. The HP doesn't have supported drivers for it in my OS (Linux...). Gonna check abit for the 4870.

Thanks though,

Patrik,

Either the 3200 or 4990 Epson scanners will serve you well for what you want to do.

Give it a bit more time and people won't be able to give them away after the 700/750 becomes much more commonplace!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Just an update:
    The epson 4870 is fully supported in Linux (sane-project.org). Epson also has a special on them (refurbs) for $199/shipped. Mine is on its way.

Thanks !

I am glad you found the "refurb" deal. I know a number of people who have been very pleased with the scanner even though it is a "refurb" (no apparent difference from new) and you can't beat the price

Doug
    Last edited by Doug Fisher; 26-Jun-2006 at 12:15.

Here's a recent 35mm scan off my newly acquired Epson 4870 refurb to alleviate any doubt about the quality of refurbs.

Only minimal sharpening was applied to linked image to compensate jpeg compression:

http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?pi...mBaYiDIUk0tEbv