Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Horse and Mule Pack Trip from Sabrina to John Muir - interested?

More updates - post trip

Well, the memory of the trip seems to improve as my muscles ache and the welts gradually stop oozing!

For the very fit and enthusiastic, or those who can really psyche themselves into the ordeal every moment, great possibilities for LF photography exist in the high country. For many of the rest of us, just having energy left, and courage to endure non-stop insect attack and general discomfort is much more challenging than operating a camera - so much so, that it's easy to peak out of the tent in the morning, mumble something like "hmmm, a shot of a lifetime. I'll just go back to sleep now".

The sky at 11,200 feet was indeed awesome. It just doesn't get better, and I have not seen such a sky anywhere outdoors in many years. If one could pack an astrophotography rig up there, wait until just after a storm, and then shoot, I'm sure the results would be stunning.

I passed up many grand shots on the way up, being more interested in trying all of this out, getting to our destination in one piece, and making notes of how to improve the experience. This was plenty for me, as I learned a great deal.

For sure, a fall trip would not have as many bugs, and possibly less heat too - just those two factors alone would make a backcountry trip quite harmonious with photography. Or, for a shorter distance, early in spring, just walking, could work. I believe that Fall would be ideal. Anything but the mosquitoes and I’ll be the happiest darn packer / camper you ever met, able to meditate, enjoy the light, wait for the light and really get into it. With the bugs though…it might be a year or two before I’d want to try again!

To that end, I do believe that I will take another, much easier day ride mule trip, from McGee Meadows or so, and commission it as a photo trip with planned stops, sunup to sundown. Probably this Fall, just after the temps drop. That will allow larger format and comfort at the same time. When it really cools down, I would like to propose a desert get together for several people to bring their Jeeps / Trucks, etc. We could all enjoy some time out shooting, and still have the mobility of vehicles. If interested in any of these sorts of things, drop me a line, I'll put it together, ok? Whatever, I'm game for the trip again, up to Dingleberry or so instead of Hungry Packer, and in the Fall with ( fewer ) mosquitoes. That trip I could indeed walk down just fine from, and ride up with no issues. If anyone wants to do it, you have to start planning NOW for it, if you want a group. Again, drop a line.

We ended up using Bishop Pack Outfitters, which is run by Mike and Tess Morgan. Our main pack manager was Sheila. They were better than fantastic. Just good, honest, talented and amazing people who know how to get the job done, understand photographer’s needs, and bend over backwards to make it work out so that everyone has a super time of it. I can only give them my highest recommendation, gratitude and respect for their hard work. And while some people thought it was expensive, it was not. They earned every cent of their money and then some. Everything was just as agreed, and far beyond my expectations.

Some thoughts -

1. Whatever gear you have, you'll really do great if you pick one lens, one camera, a light support system, and color correction filters, because the light temp up there is really cold, about 8500k in the early morning. Keep it more simple than you could imagine normally.

2. If you don't need it, whatever it is - GPS and all that, just don't take it. A notebook, compass and a map works fine, really. The GPS does a great job of telling you what you already knew before you fired it up.

3. Bring a pocket cam, and shoot the heck out of it. Documenting the process is vital for future success, plus it can help judge the trick contrast of high mountain terrain.

4. Bring mosquito netting if you're near water. A two dollar net that goes over your face and around your head will be worth a million bucks when you're under attack. Sure, you can go at better times for bugs, as I will in the future, however you'll miss the snow, high water, and delicate mountain flowers. It's a tough call. If you've got what it takes, then it's worth it.

5. Pick your campsite in such a way that it really lets you get around without too many streams to ford, and consider staying at a lower elevation then walking up for day hikes. The lower elevation makes recovery from exertion easier, and is often less barren anyway. We all agreed that things would have been better overall if we only went about 3/4 of the distance up the mountain.

6. The finest luxury a group could have would be a set of satellite phones, so that people could split up more at times yet still communicate changing wishes and new discoveries.

7. If it’s snow melt time and lots of stream crossing areas, bring hiking boots AND rubber waterproof stream or tide shoes, and even consider fisherman's rubber shoes so that you can comfortably haul yourself and gear through water instead of climbing all around the water you want to cross. You can't imagine how much easier it might have been if we could have just walked through the water more often.

8. DEET - the scented kind from the grocery store ATTRACTS mosquitoes. The treatment for your clothes that lasts 6+ days works very well though.

9. Benadryl, the antihistamine allergy stuff, works GREAT at calming itches of bites, plus for most folks, it causes a bit of drowsiness, which makes sleeping easier. Regular pain relievers, such as the ones for headaches also help, while quieting muscle pains a lot. Bactine antiseptic wash, which seems to be dilute "Witch Hazel", is very soothing as a face wash before gold bond, which seems to be the best at making the bites less bothersome.

10. Drink water. Lots of it. Even when you’re not thirsty. What seems like altitude sickness is often dehydration ( be careful of altitude sickness too! ). I felt so much better each time I drank a bit more water. Heat and high elevation dry you out fast. If you avoid the dehydration, you’ll think more clearly and be more comfortable.

More later, I'm still recovering from a good adventure that whooped my ass!

Will try to develop some film today...

Attached, the area we camped in, just under Picture Peak, and another shot of the mules, this time climbing some of the steep steps that wind up into the mountains. Hikers stand aside in the light rain during a stream crossing. My partner, Sandy rides Napoleon, and I'm riding Luke. Luke was a really gentle and SMART mule, who let me know when to get ready for steep drop offs and ascents...

Re: Horse and Mule Pack Trip from Sabrina to John Muir - interested?

That one horse's head has shown up twice now. You must have thought she was cute.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

The horse's head - that's Luke's head, Luke is a mule, and it is merely a point of reference to help you have the view from atop a mule. Luke did think Sandy was cute though...

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

Hi Ed,

Nice shots! Thanks for the flattering description of my photographic abilities at 11,000 feet- I am not worthy! The trip was quite an experience for me, and on the ride home last night all I could think about in my mind was planning my next trip to the High Sierra. I think the next time I would be more prepared to deal with working in such a challenging environment, with the altitude, thunderstorms, fatigue, and hordes of bloodsucking insects. Lugging aroung two cameras and 5 lenses was a bit much- next time, I think I'll settle on 1 camera and 2 lenses. I think I managed to get some nice panoramics, which I will post as soon as I get the film processed. It was definately a memorable trip- does life get any more exciting than wading waste deep in a freezing mountain stream holding a metal tripod in the air while lightning bolts strike all around you? Anyone out there up for a fall trip to the high country when the aspens are turning?
    Brian Vuillemenot

Results?

I did manage to get a few photos with my 4x5 using black and white film which will be very pleasing reminders of where we went. In addition, we have hundreds of photos suitable to document the people, place and experience - perhaps good for a little web site section, which may help others decide to trek into the wilds, and thus enjoy ( or endure ) the experience.

After checking my pictures against the list of topics listed on this board as cliche, I see that I can offer nothing to bring others pleasure by sharing my images here, as, for fun and the feeling of it, I made nothing but cliche images.

Ah, don't worry about it Ed. Post away. For the vast majority of us, all we ever shoot are cliche'ed images. We can't all be Gary Winogrand or Wright Morris. (And Wright's Worke wasn't cliche'ed when he did it. Only after people like me came along and tried to redo it). I'd love to see some of your black and white work.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Ed,

I'm convinced that cliche is mainly in the eyes of an imbittered beholder who seeks out subjects in order to ingraciously deem them to be cliche.

Something might be personally offensive and it is right to object on those grounds, but IMHO to object to somethimg because it can be identified with a genre is laughable---hence my post on that 'other' thread.

I doubt that anything having to do with mules can ever be considered a cliche---unless you happen to get kicked by one (and then we'll probably read about it in the papers!)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White