Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just got the Gowland and I'm Psyched!

Talking Just got the Gowland and I'm Psyched!

Hi, all

I just got the camera today, and was pleasantly surprised by the extra features it came with. It has the separate rise and tilt front, a fresnel, a 2 screw back for switching orientation, and bubble levels. I thought I was getting the plane Jane model. Anyway, 2 questions. The focus gear is a little stiff, so I wanted to know how to lubricate it. Also, the levels are dried out, so I wondered if there are standard replacements for the vials or whether it's a specially made part for Gowland.
    The lens, btw, is in much better shape than I was led to believe. there's something in there, but it's not fungus. Looks more like dust or tiny bubbles. anyway, not bad for what I paid, plus I got a bunch of holders and film.
    I'm sure I'll have lots of questions once I actually start using it, but I'm psyched!

Re: Just got the Gowland and I'm Psyched!

PS: How do you load a calumet 6x7 roll back?

Quote Originally Posted by G Benaim
    The focus gear is a little stiff, so I wanted to know how to lubricate it. Also, the levels are dried out, so I wondered if there are standard replacements for the vials or whether it's a specially made part for Gowland.
    I didn't think that the focus rail is geared on the Gowland, though I know some people have theirs geared after the fact; S.K. Grime offered this conversion specifically for Gowland cameras at one point. In any case, on my Gowland Pocket View 4x5, I can adjust the friction on the focus rail by tightening/loosening the 4 screws on the underside of the focus block. Mine do not come with the levels either; I suspect that those are 3rd party add-ons too.

- Phong

For bubble level vials, try the following,
    http://www.mcmaster.com
    http://www.cabelas.com

Jason.

"How do you load a calumet 6x7 roll back"

It isn't easy or intutive the first few times you do it. I had to pull out the instruction booklet each time until I had done it four or five times. I don't know if the instructions are on line anywhere or if you could get the booklet from Calumet. Or maybe someone here can step you through it, it's been a long time since I owned mine.

Call Peter up and give him your accolades and questions---He'd most likely appreciate it! I think a conversation with Peter Gowland is a "value added" treat that should come with every Gowland Camera.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

"How do you load a calumet 6x7 roll back"

I found a pdf online: http://www.calumetphoto.com/resources/pdfs/Ins_C2N.pdf
    I bought the holder recently but haven't used it, so can't help you exactly how...

Thanks all for the response. I loosened the focus screws and that fixed it, Phong. I've been in email contact w Peter since I first considered getting the camera, and he's ben very helpful. I'm curious how those of you who own one of these carry them. Mine came w an especially long rod, 14in, so that may make it more difficult to carry easily. I'm considering getting a shorter one, but am curious how to carry it.

Welcome to the Gowland fold.

My third Gowland, an 8x10, will be arriving in about a week. I ordered an additional, short, rod, which, among other things, functions nicely as a packing rod: mount both standards on this short rod, and the camera will fit in a camera bag or backpack. I happen to know that Peter has a supply of 6-inch rods instantly available; he'd love to sell you one if you give him a call. The short rods are the slotted focus rods, which when combined with a standard unslotted rear rod give plenty of length for short to medium lenses. That's assuming your tripod block is the kind that will accept two rods.

I usually carry my 4x5 Gowland in a shoulder bag designed for 35mm. The bag is longish and the camera fits on it on the full rods. This bag does limit me to 2-3 lenses.

Another option is to pack the camera disassembled, put it together at the first shooting opportunity, then leave it mounted to the tripod, which carry over your shoulder from then on. Dismount the lens, if you prefer; strap loaded tripod to your backpack if you prefer. All are practical options for the featherweight and non-fragile Gowland.

I carry my 4x5 all move in a computer laptop backpack. The tripod block and the standard blocks stay on the 8.5" focus rail. Bellow unit with the front and rear standards inside the padded sleeve, lenses in a seperate compartment. I have Peter made me a set of screw together rails, so the blocks could all slide along the entire rail assembly, and I could easily increase or reduce rail length.

Jason.