Thread: Tripod/head recommendations

Tripod/head recommendations

Well, my tripod is finally on it's last leg (pun intended) and I need to start looking seriously at replacing it.

I haven't kept up on the latest gear for some time, so could someone please recommend a good tripod and head combination meeting the following specs:

1. Strong enough to support a metal field camera (4x5)
    2. Extends to about 6' without having to raise the center column
    3. Quick-release (?) brackets on the legs, not screws
    4. Quick release mounting plate available
    5. Total cost around $200

Thanks for the help,

Curtis

Re: Tripod/head recommendations

Sounds like you have written the sales brochure for a Slik 700DX, except they only cost $130 (B&H). You didn't mention weight, but it's 7# including the pan/tilt head, which has a built-in levels and quick release (included). I've used mine for about two years with a Technika.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

That Slik sounds great. I have a Porter Cable surveying tripod that will, with the legs splayed on ground where the spikes can grip, let me put the head about two feet from the ground (or drop the top plate all the way down, but it's not really stable that way), and with legs fully extended, will raise the camera too high to see the ground glass or shutter speed dials on the lens (I'm about 5' 7" tall; with the lens at six feet it's still not quite out of leg extension). It has a nylon web strap with belt-style buckle that binds the bottom ends of the legs together, and a shoulder strap of the same material, so it's easy to carry. Each leg has a step pad for "setting" the leg spike, for stability, and it came with rubber covers for the spikes to protect floors (the leg spikes unscrew with a wrench, also, but I haven't any replacements for them).

This surveying tripod is probably a LOT sturdier than you need for even a heavy 8x10; I could probably stand on it (around 200 lbs) without overstressing anything. It came without a head for around $100, including 1/4-20 mounting screw that I had to shorten about 1/8" to keep it from bottoming in some of my cameras (most have a 5/8 that doesn't match anything photographic, though there are adapters made to put 1/4-20 equipment on those). Recently, I added a Bogen 3-way head that I got in "new but dusty" condition for $25. I also have a bubble level I plan to install on the center post of the head, but haven't gotten the level's flange trimmed yet.

This one has no quick release, but I could have gotten a head with quick release for about $25 more, plus whatever extra plates cost. Given the number of cameras I'm likely to want to mount, I prefer the screw, lest I beggar myself buying plates (and then have to do it again if/when I replace the tripod in ten or twenty years).
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

I'll second the the 700DX head. Just make sure you get the circular quick release plate with the correct size screw. I think the standard one is only 1/4inch but there is also a 3/8 inch for heavier cameras. I have a plate for each of my cameras which are permamnently left on the camera.

I have used an old original Marchioni Tiltall for 4x5 for many years in all kinds of situations with 4x5 and even 5x7 (8x10 is too much) without any problems. Critical is cleaning sand and salt off the aluminum and keeping the screw threads clean. It has been all over, winter and summer, on three continents, and never failed since I got it alomst 30 yrs. ago. The Giotto CF is nicer, but not lighter, and I have both.
    Michael