Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Real Name (and Date of Birth reminder)

Re: Your Real Name (and Date of Birth reminder)

Nitish - please don't interpret what I've said as meaning that I think someone who chooses to use a moniker/handle is automatically suspect - even though he or she would be in some photography circles. Of course, a person who chooses to hide their identity by wearing a mask into the local bank might get a less-friendly reception.

While the reasons for the policy is as Tom and I have stated, one side benefit is that it also gives us something to point at as evidence of "due diligence" in the operation of the forum.

We're just trying to stike a reasonable balance here between "free and easy," good community relations (based on our collective forum experience), and strict compliance with U.S. federal regulations.

hermit

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker
    We're just trying to stike a reasonable balance here between "free and easy," good community relations (based on our collective forum experience), and strict compliance with U.S. federal regulations.
    If I arrange for space on a server in Japan would that make a difference? I do some work for a small ISP and I have never heard postings must be done with 'real names' or that the board operator was obligated to ensure this is the case. It would be an impossible burden. Can you point me to the regulation you are referring to?

I didn't know I could change my date of birth. Let's see, with my birthday in May now gone for the year, 2006 could be the year to get a second set of birthday presents. M-m-m-m, I think I'll change my birthday to a nice day in September!

A Japan-based server probably wouldn't solve the problem for U.S.-based operators. Plus, I can't imagine anyone in Japan being willing to donate virtually unlimited trans-Pacific bandwidth. We're fortunate to have Brian Reid as our benefactor in that respect. If we were on a commercial server, we'd likely be looking at several thousand dollars per month in bandwidth alone.

COPPA (Children's Online Privacy Protection Act) is only part of the issue. Interpretation of the law, however, is the usual slippery slope of legalese versus local interpretation by prosecutors anxious to get re-elected. If one were to read the material available on the Federal Trade Commission site (http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/coppa.htm), and then consider how a prosecutor could spin various circumstances to their benefit in the press, and what it would cost to defend oneself in court, one might be prompted to require a copy of the person's driver's license, a copy of their Social Security card, and a certified copy of their birth certificate, along with a signed blank check, all delivered in person.

We think we're in a reasonably safe zone with respect to COPPA, so we're trying not to be overly paranoid about that. The thought of several hundred thousand in attorney's fees does send a little chill up my back, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Collins
    I didn't know I could change my date of birth. Let's see, with my birthday in May now gone for the year, 2006 could be the year to get a second set of birthday presents. M-m-m-m, I think I'll change my birthday to a nice day in September!
    Actually, Peter, I don't think you can edit your DOB once it has been entered. If you, uh, made a mistake, however, we can reset it to blank, allowing you to enter a new date.

hermit

If you send us an e-mail requesting that your account be deleted, we'll do our best to also delete any posts that we think are yours, if that is your wish. Obviously, we can't make any guarantees about posts from other potential hermits.
    Well, I'm only worried about the posts attatched to my account. I know the folks over at APUG are able to do a 'wipe', you maybe could contact them for directions. I would assume vBulletin would provide support? This is commercial software.

hermit

A Japan-based server probably wouldn't solve the problem for U.S.-based operators. Plus, I can't imagine anyone in Japan being willing to donate virtually unlimited trans-Pacific bandwidth. We're fortunate to have Brian Reid as our benefactor in that respect. If we were on a commercial server, we'd likely be looking at several thousand dollars per month in bandwidth alone.
    They pay a connection fee over there. We still, for the moment, have net neutrality so there is no extra trans-Pacific bandwdith fee. Of course the list does have members in other countries and other continents any how. No? Some places in Japan get 1GIG connections to the home. Amazing what population density does for you. My Bulgarain friend over there has 100 meg(not gig, poor guy) to his home with a small block of fixed IP's for $40 a month. I can get a t1 here for $600 a month. I doubt this board fills up 3 of them full time. But, that is why, early on, I asked the folks in the 'photo post' thread to consider posting link, not photos. Every time a new post comes in and some one clicks on the link, that all gets downloaded again. A thousand people check the thread a few times a day......

4x5 Camera Toting Tourist Nitish Kanabar's Avatar

Nitish - please don't interpret what I've said as meaning that I think someone who chooses to use a moniker/handle is automatically suspect - even though he or she would be in some photography circles.
    Fair enough - yes, I totally agree. Thanks for clearing up my misunderstanding.

Of course, a person who chooses to hide their identity by wearing a mask into the local bank might get a less-friendly reception.
    Certainly. I don't know about banks - but I think that I'll get more attention and service if I DID show up wearing a mask at a certain photography store in the Bay Area that is notorious for its appaling lack of customer service . But I digress. The rules governing interaction in a bank, in our living room, and in an online forum are totally different. You'll be very surprised if someone wanted to take your fingerprints so you could enter their living room, right?

While the reasons for the policy is as Tom and I have stated, one side benefit is that it also gives us something to point at as evidence of "due diligence" in the operation of the forum.

Ralph, the two reasons stated earlier were courtesy and deterrence - and neither of these will be served by collecting real-names, especially when there is no way to verify this information. In fact we've all seen tempers run high on this forum and some regretable words - some by posters who use their real names. I'm sorry, but I remain unconvinced that these purposes will be served by requiring members to fill-up an additional field.

Regarding US federal regulations, especially COPPA - link http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/coppa.htm.
    The law states if you operate a general audience Web site and have actual knowledge that you are collecting personal information from children, you must comply with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act. This forum is neither directed to children under 13 nor collects personally identifiable information about members it knows to be under 13. Having members fill-up their Date of Birth was reasonable in that respect. Collecting additional information is a slippery slope and the more information you collect, the more you MAY be expected to verify the accuracy of that information.

If the real purpose is to reduce any perceived legal exposure of the moderators then I cannot fault that motivation.
    Last edited by Nitish Kanabar; 28-May-2006 at 18:05.
    Nitish Kanabar

Quote Originally Posted by hermit
    Well, I'm only worried about the posts attatched to my account. . . .
    Of course. The potential problem is that the identity of the person behind the accound is a little fuzzy. Send us a list of all of the e-mail and IP addresses you've used in the past, and we'll be sure not to delete the wrong hermit. That's once you've actually requested deletion, of course.

I've been participating here since 1997 so it's been 9 years. In order for me to be under 15 now I would have to have been 5 years old or younger when I began participating. I admit I've posted some juvenile messages on occasion but surely they didn't look like they came from a five year old!

But I'm just having a little fun with the moderators, who do a great and usually thankless job. I don't mind using my real name at all, I've been doing it since I started here. However, I lied about my birth date, I don't think it's a good idea to give my true birth date out along with my real name.