Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a 210mm lens please

Exclamation Re: Recommend a 210mm lens please

Joseph,

Thanks for your insights.

If I bought the Nikkor, I don't think I will be disappointed.

I will be shooting in very dim light and in backlight situations in which lens flare may be a problem. So the Nikkor is still tempting.

Also, the coverage on the 210 G-Claron is really huge. With the lens wide open and the camera focused at infinity, this lens will cover an 8x10 with movements. I have tried this myself and know it to be true. I don't know why Schneider lists the 210 G-Claron's image circle as only being 260mm at f22. That image size would not cover an 8x10 ground glass.

As it now stands, I own too many lenses and I am looking to standardize and reduce my inventory to only those lenses I will be using on a regular basis. This final line up will include:

1. Nikkor-SW f8 90mm

2. Schneider Super-Angulon f8 120mm

3. Fujinon CMW f5.6 125mm

4. Nikkor-W f5.6 210mm

5. Schneider G-Claron f9 210mm

6. Nikkor-M f9 300mm

7. Nikkor-T (ED) f8 360mm

The Fujinon and the G-Claron will be used in situations in which weight and bulk are major considerations, as they are on very long hikes. In such situations, it's really important that my entire pack weight not exceed about 25 pounds (11.4 Kg).

Re: Recommend a 210mm lens please

a 210mm? Is budget and issue?

Try the Symmar convertible 210/370mm. It's not a very modern lens but nevertheless...

Less weight, 2 focals in 1 lens, tons of movement and they already sell for 150 Euro!
    I just missed one because I clicked the buy me now a minute too late while I was waiting for the seller to reply to my enquiry for the shutter accuracy. Be sure to always ask this.
    Check ebay.de for interesting offers and adjust your searches to the sellers' typo's.

To compensate, I just bought a 150/265 to accompany me on a leightweight 10 days trip next summer... only 150 Swiss Francs, that's less than 100 Euros!

G
    Last edited by Geert; 22-May-2006 at 16:11.

Dave Karp

210mm Caltar II-N lenses seem to be going for around US$200 lately. An awesome deal if the lenses are as good as described. These are identical to the Rodenstock APO-Sironar N. I just bought one and am looking forward to receiving it.

Talking Re: Recommend a 210mm lens please

A new 210mm Caltar II-N is selling for $760, and is most likely identical to a Rodenstock 210mm f/5.6 Apo-Sironar-N, which may be no longer available. When last available, the Sironar-N went for $965 at B&H.

Also, my budget for 4x5 equipment is not too limited; now for 11x14, that's another matter.

http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/CL2210.html

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Gomez
    Joseph,

I will be shooting in very dim light and in backlight situations in which lens flare may be a problem. So the Nikkor is still tempting.

Also, the coverage on the 210 G-Claron is really huge. With the lens wide open and the camera focused at infinity, this lens will cover an 8x10 with movements. I have tried this myself and know it to be true. I don't know why Schneider lists the 210 G-Claron's image circle as only being 260mm at f22. That image size would not cover an 8x10 ground glass.

As it now stands, I own too many lenses and I am looking to standardize and reduce my inventory to only those lenses I will be using on a regular basis.
    -snip-

Want some advise? If you are married, *never* let your wife hear you say you own too many lenses.

For dimlight - I hear you. As much as I love my Apo-Artar, an F9 lens for a night shot can be a total PITA. Daytime, no problemo, but night a low light shots.

However as to backlighting, try BOTH lenses if you ever do get that new 210mm. Some of those older, single coated lenses are actually pretty good - or cool - when shooting a scence that is back light. Try it and you'll see. Sometimes I wonder if the flare issue for some lenses isn't more related to the design or mechanical build of the interior of the lens itself, not just coatings. Although, is the G-Claron not multicoated? Well, i suppose that depends on the age of the lens to begin with.

As for the coverage on the G-Clarons - yes - waaaaay huge. I don't know for sure, but I think my 270mm would cover 11x14 if I had too. More coverage than my feild camera has movements to be sure.

joe
    Last edited by Joseph O'Neil; 22-May-2006 at 17:12.
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

Smile Re: Recommend a 210mm lens please

Joseph,

My wife is very supportive. She has her collections: jewelry, suits, shoes, etc.

I believe the G-Claron series is single coated, and optimized for one-to-one shooting. At infinity, down to 1-to-10 reproductions, the standard 210 plasmat, theoretically, should be sharper. But as Ron Wisner pointed out in a Darkroom Techniques article many years ago, beyond f22 defraction tends to make all large format lenses about equally sharp, or dull, including the older, classic uncoated designs.

Smile Re: Recommend a 210mm lens please

Greetings,

For what it's worth, I just pulled the trigger on a Nikkor-W f5.6 150mm from Badger Graphic, and a Nikkor-W f5.6 210mm from B&H. Next up will be the Fujinon CMW f5.6 125mm from Badger along with an Ebony SV45Ti 4x5.

http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/c...ct_detail&p=66

Stay tuned because I have a lot of mint condition large format equipment that will be going up for sale.

It's a nice feeling knowing that I have finally zeroed in on the right equipment for me and the type of work I will be doing. It's taken a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Gomez
    A new 210mm Caltar II-N is selling for $760, and is most likely identical to a Rodenstock 210mm f/5.6 Apo-Sironar-N, which may be no longer available
    150 and 210 are the two focal lengths from the Apo-Sironar-N line which are still current. The rest have been discontinued.

Dave Karp

In my earlier post, I was talking about used prices for the 210mm Caltar II-N. So far, all but one of my lenses are used, and they are all in great condition. No more new lenses for me!

Thank-you to everyone for the advice.

I forgot to mention that I intend to use the lens in the field, so weight is a consideration. I also do lots of low light, and plan to do some night shots, so f5.6 is important for me.

With all of that in mind I went for a Caltar II N for $400.

At 440 grams it will be just managable in the field.