Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommend a 210mm lens please

Recommend a 210mm lens please

I am considering the Fuji 210mm CMW, Rodenstock APO Sironar-N 210mm and Nikkor 210mm W. Only these because I want a modern lens with a filter thread of 67mm or less.

I have read that most of the modern 210mm plasmats are similar in performance, ie. contrast and resolution. I don't think I can go wrong with any of these.

Would those of you who have experience of two or more of these lenses please offer your opinion.
    Last edited by Ron Marshall; 22-May-2006 at 09:02.

Re: Recommend a 210mm lens please

I have used the Nikkor 210 W, the Apo Sironar N and the Apo Symmar (you may want to add it to your list even though it has a slightly larger filter thread). I have done side-by-side comparisons of the three lenses and found the Schneider and Rodenstock samples to be virtually the same in their performance. The Nikkor had exactly the same resolution but was a small bit less contrasty than the other two. Stopping it down a half stop brought the contrast up to that of the others. Of course, YMMV. You won't go wrong with any of these lenses.

I'll second Ted's recommendation to inclue the APO Symmar in your search. You didn't mention what format you'll be shooting with this lens. I use mine primarily on 4x5 for color work. I had previously standardized on 67mm filters. So, I just leave a 72mm - 67mm step-down on the lens at all times. In theory, I may be giving up a few mm of coverage due to mechanical vignetting. In practice, this hasn't been an issue for me on 4x5.

Previously, I had a 210mm Nikkor W that was one of my most used lenses for several years. I really had no complaints, but when I had a chance to pick up a 210mm APO Symmar at a very attractive price, I gave it a try. In terms of overall performance, I'd say the APO Symmar is just a tiny bit better than the Nikkor W, but unless you make some very big enlargements, you're not likely to notice any difference. The Schneider seems to have slightly better color saturation and immunity to flair, but again I never really had any complaints with the Nikkor and many of my all-time favorite images were made with the 210mm Nikkor W.

Like you said, it's hard to make a BAD choice in a modern, multicoated 210mm plasmat. They're all pretty darn good. I like my 210mm APO Symmar, but I could also get by just fine with a 210mm Nikkor W.

Kerry

Thumbs up Re: Recommend a 210mm lens please

Ron,

Go with Kerry's advice; he knows more about lenses than most of us. But also remember, that John Sexton uses the Nikkor 210; his images are fantastic. They are as sharp as my eyes can resolve, maybe sharper.

Unless you are going to make some really huge prints or want a certain look because you will be doing color, then choose the lens that is the least expensive.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

I'll third Kerry's recommendation ... not just because I have one and love it, or because the published data makes it look like a contender for best of the best, but because someone is selling one for cheap right now in the for sale area.

Lightbulb Re: Recommend a 210mm lens please

Kerry,

Since we are on the subject of 4x5 lenses, how would you compare a Nikkor-W 210 with a Schneider 210-G Claron? Do they deliver the same level of sharpness and contrast for the 4x5?

And what is your opinion of the Nikkor-SW 120 f8 versus the Schneider 120 f8 Super-Angulon. Which one is sharper? Although these lenses are large, I like the extra coverage.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Greg

I would go with Ted and Kerry's recommendations.

Gregory, GClarons are single coated. In many situations this makes little to no difference. I used to own a single coated 305 GClaron that was just as sharp and contrasty as my multi-coated 300 Nikkor M. To make matters worse, I think my single coated APO Germinar is subtly sharper and contrastier than either the GClaron or Nikkor M.

If you need coverage, there are few substitutes for Schneider's 110Super Symmar XL. Modern design, modern glass, modern shutter. But at f/22 and for many applications I doubt you would see any difference between a 110XL and either the 120mm wide angle lenses you mention.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Gomez
    Since we are on the subject of 4x5 lenses, how would you compare a Nikkor-W 210 with a Schneider 210-G Claron? Do they deliver the same level of sharpness and contrast for the 4x5?

And what is your opinion of the Nikkor-SW 120 f8 versus the Schneider 120 f8 Super-Angulon. Which one is sharper? Although these lenses are large, I like the extra coverage.

Smile Re: Recommend a 210mm lens please

Christopher,

Thanks for your reply.

I already have the Schneider 120 f8 Super-Angulon. So it's my understanding that changing it in favor of the Nikkor-SW 120 f8 would not give me any advantage whatsoever.

As for the Schneider G-Claron 210 f9, I have this lens already. There are, however, new Nikkor-W 210 f5.6 lenses still available at B&H at reasonable prices. I was just wondering if the Nikkor was a sharper lens than the G-Claron. I think the answer is "no." But I like the idea of the multicoating to control flare in some backlight situations. What I might do is to buy the Nikkor, and use the G-Claron when I have to hike five or more miles.

If I don't receive anymore feedback to my question, I will most likely buy the Nikkor because the Nikon large format lenses will soon disappear now that Nikon is no longer making them. That is certainly the case for Nikon manual focusing 35mm equipment. I bought a complete outfit just a few months ago. Now most of that gear is no longer available.

another outstanding lens is the 210 Sironar-S. i tested mine against two APO-Symmar's and found them to be comprable WRT to resolution. however, the Sironar-S seemed a bit warmer. i like all of the Sironar-S lenses, so might have been unintentionally biased.

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Gomez
    Christopher,

As for the Schneider G-Claron 210 f9, I have this lens already. There are, however, new Nikkor-W 210 f5.6 lenses still available at B&H at reasonable prices. I was just wondering if the Nikkor was a sharper lens than the G-Claron. I think the answer is "no." But I like the idea of the multicoating to control flare in some backlight situations. What I might do is to buy the Nikkor, and use the G-Claron when I have to hike five or more miles.
    -snip-

I'm in a very similar boat as you - I use a 8.25" Apo Red Dot Artar (209mm), F9. Want some advice? Skip re-inventing the wheel, unless you want a 210mm that has a bigger image circle and more movements than your G-Claron - which might be kinda hard to do. The coverage chart for G-Clarons is here

http://www.schneideroptics.com/photo...aron/chart.htm

Anyhow, I have a 270mm G-Claron myself, and I like these lenses.
    The other thought, and the only reason I have ever thought of getting another 210mm is that F9 can be dim/dark to focus through, especially if you are doing a lot of night shots.

But I think if you got another 210mm - any size, brand, type, you might be a wee bit disappointed you spent all that money for little gain. Look seriously instead at a different size - even a 180 or 240mm, or a nice wide angle. Whatever else you've been looking at and thiking about.
    good luck
    joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?