Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any feeback on the new Fotoman yet?

Any feeback on the new Fotoman yet?

Just wondering if anyone has gotten their hands on the Fotoman 45PS yet. Wondering what is like, after seeing some of the photographs.

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

Re: Any feeback on the new Fotoman yet?

On a related note, has anyone out there used the Photoman 6X24? Now that looks cool!
    Brian Vuillemenot

I have the Fotoman 624. Just calibrated focus on my 110mm and 180mm spacers. If everything goes well, I will get some images back in a few days. It actually fits in the Kinesis belt system (www.kgear.com) that I already have. Really easy to carry with a neck strap and hand hold, but I will use a tripod most of the time.

Their new helical focusing mounts are a breeze to calibrate after reading the instructions. Their new viewfinders are probably the best out there. You have a bubble level that you see in the finder while framing. It uses interchangeable masks, and the image in the viewfinder is really fun to look at, especially with wider lenses (because less is masked).

Coming soon, hopefully, will be the ground glass for 624 and the shift adapter. My 300mm spacer may come even sooner, hopefully in a matter of weeks.

I have lots of plans for this camera. Very well made. Yeah, it's way cool!

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

Hi Jerry,

I'd like to hear any comments you have on using such an extreme aspect ratio. I'm used to using 6X17, but I could see where 6X24 would be quite a bit more challenging. Are you finding it limiting at all, or is it opening up lots of new possibilities for you? Please post some of your shots when you get them back. Best of luck with it!
    Brian Vuillemenot

Leonard... sorry to say you'll get no response, as we've only JUST shipped the very first one. Stuart Franklin (head of Magnum UK) selected the Fotoman 45PS for an aerial project documenting the receeding glaciers in the Alps and Finland next month... then off to S. Africa for a shoot with National Geo. For this application we developed appropriate aerial handles, which we will either offer as an accessory or maybe even make standard on the camera. Needless to say we like the handles a lot. Stuart has promised a full review of the camera and a lot of pic's which we'll publish on our new website. We will commence shipping full scale in about two weeks, so I would think in a month or so you'll start hearing some feedback from the users on this forum.

Paul,

Is it possible to use the 45PS with a Copal 3 shutter? I ask because I have a Xenotar in a C3 which I would love to use on a camera like your 45PS

jason

Don't know why but my picture didn't attach... here's another try

Sorry Jason, our Helical Focus Mount can only accept #0 or #1 shutter sizes.. but that is 1 more than the other guys...

Ah well, I can dream...

Paul, that's great news. What's the status on the 8x10 version?