Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avatars turned ON

After some discussion, we have turned avatars on. The decision whether or not to view avatars is set per user, so you can make your own decision about it. The setting is and will continue to be OFF by default for all new users. You should check you setting to be sure it is set where you want it to be.

Currently, all but 64 users have viewing turned OFF. If you want to change or check your setting visit the "User CP" link in the upper blue menu bar, then go to Edit Options and find the "Show Avatars" check-box about mid-way down the page in the "Thread Display Options" sub-section.

To define an avatar image visit the User CP and use the "Edit Avatar" link on the left. The maximum size of your avatar image is 80 by 80 pixels or 19.5 KB (whichever is smaller). The software does not re-size images for you, so be sure it's within the limits or the upload will fail. I'm guessing the usual image formats are acceptable, JPG, GIF, PNG, but it's not documented, so try JPG if others fail to work for you--I do know that one works.

The usual forum guidelines apply to avatars as well as to text: be respectful of others & no commercial advertising images. The Moderators will delete avatars--or other images for that matter--which they decide violate the guidelines.

Re: Avatars turned ON

edit avatar doesn't allow me to upload or switch on avatars.
    my options say to display them.

Choice is good. Power to the Profile.

robc - I think you clicked on "Edit Options" instead of "Edit Avatar".
    Last edited by Ralph Barker; 21-May-2006 at 06:56.

Please tell me what an avatar is?

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker
    Choice is good.
    In this case I disagree, Ralph. Avatars are just like ignore lists. A member can choose to turn off avatars and ignore certain "contributors" but, when posts start including references to avatars (in yet another triumph of form over substance) and/or the posts of "ignored" posters, it's like listening to half of a conversation.

Only the owner and moderators have final control over these decisions, so I guess avatars it is. Seems though that a preponderance of those who posted to this thread

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...hlight=avatars

expressed a preference for no avatars.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker
    Choice is good. Power to the Profile.

robc - I think you clicked on "Edit Options" instead of "Edit Avatar".

No I clicked on edit avatar and "do not use avatars" is on and it won't allow me to change it. There is no option to upload avatars. I exited IE, restarted, deleted cache, and deleted cookies. Logged back in and still the same.

Rob - I couldn't see where I could change that setting for you, but I was able to insert "Lucky" from your profile as your avatar. Hopefully, that will allow you to change it as you wish.

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robc
    No I clicked on edit avatar and "do not use avatars" is on and it won't allow me to change it. There is no option to upload avatars. I exited IE, restarted, deleted cache, and deleted cookies. Logged back in and still the same.

Ditto for me. Used Firefox and Opera - will not allow me to toggle the switch to allow avatars or not.

joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

Joe - I did the same thing for you, using the image in your profile. Looks like there's a bug in the software, as the use/don't use buttons should toggle.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonard Evens
    Please tell me what an avatar is?
    An Avatar is a small image (80x80 max) that is intended to "say something" about the user. It will appear below the user's name at the left of their posts, if:

1. the other user has uploaded one, and

2. you have chosen to display them (one of your profile settings).