Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Advice Regarding Potential Auction Problem

Dave Karp

Re: Need Advice Regarding Potential Auction Problem

Hello all,

Brian and Remigius were both right. It was E-Bay's form, not the seller's intent.

I have been trying to grab a Caltar II-N or its Rodenstock twin for a while since I realized that they were starting to sell for less than a Nikkor M 200 or a Xenar 210 f/6.1, and I finally found one. Then to get that E-mail after a pretty rough day was disappointing. Received a response to my e-mail this morning. The original price is the price.

Chris, I don't know how I do it. I see things I want on E-Bay all the time, but usually talk myself out of bidding. Maybe I am more afraid of trying to explain it to my wife, even though she would probably be OK with it! (She is a photographer too.)

Thanks for all your advice. I learned something new about E-Bay which will help me if I ever decide to sell something there.

I really do appreciate the collective wisdom of the folks who gather here.

Sincerely,

Dave Karp

Dave,

Good to hear!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

The II-N should be a fine lens. I'm sure you'll be happy with it at the price you paid. If it's in good condition after it arrives, these are remarkble values. That's just about $1/mm. Simply amazing for multi-coated optics in a modern shutter.

I don't know how I stumble into the deals I do, but they're definitely out there to be had. A person just needs the money ready when a deal comes up.

Conversely, I just returned from a photo swap here in town and saw nothing I couldn't live without. Usually there's at least a thing or two that makes money fly out of my wallet. Not that a $1000 Hassy 550ELX with 250 CF didn't make my head spin. But the interesting 13inch Bausch Protar series VII had a missmatched 11inch rear element set - otherwise that might have been fun. Oh, and a E1 Rollei with 75mm Planar at $200 was nearly too good to pass up. But the taking lens had a couple marks on it.

The Caltar II-N's are a great value used. They are the same as Sironar-N's. I've got a 180 and a 135 that are both great performers.

Dave Karp

Thanks to all.

Chris: It really is amazing. When I first started in LF, the Xenars seemed to be less expensive than the plasmats. Then they started creeping up. I attribute it to all of the photographers who are starting to think of weight/size for their backpacking photography trips. People have realized that the Tessar types are a great option. It is amazing that they are now going for more than the plasmats! I am sure that a good deal will come by now that I will have the Caltar, but that is OK. I am usually pretty patient. That is how I got my used Walker in such great condition.

Chris and David: I am sure that I will be very happy with the lens. I was thinking an older Fujinon W, but after reading Oren' praise of the Rodenstock lenses, plus my experience with my other Rodenstocks, I decided to look for the right Caltar. My lenses are either Caltar/Rodenstocks or Fujinons, with one Nikon (300M). I am happy with them all, so I expect to be very pleased with the new 210.

I appreciate the help of all.

I am going through this very thing right now. I bid on a tripod and the auction ended with a great price. I then recieved an invoice from the seller with an additional $295 charge from the seller. When I contacted Ebay about the matter, they stated that I would have to take this up with the seller and that if I did not work this out with him. That I could have a negative feedback left about me. Ebay did nothing in my case to help me, other than urge me to try and talk this out with the seller. Good luck with your auction.

Dave Karp

Hi all,

Well, the friendly USPS letter carrier delivered the lens today! It is in excellent condition. It is in an all black Copal 1 with the white aperture lever. The coating and lens surfaces are flawless. The shutter sounds good. I was going to send it to Carol Miller for a checkup or CLA, but I think I will hold off on that.

It was a little tense, because the seller e-mailed last week and said that he received the $ the day before, and that he hoped to send the lens the next day. Then no e-mails or responses to mine asking if he could supply the tracking number after he mailed the lens (to find out if it was actually sent). But now all is well and I have a new toy to stick on the end of my Cambo and Walker.

All in all, it is just very hard to believe that a lens of this caliber, in this condition, plus a 4x4 lensboard, went for just a hair over $200.

Thanks again to all. I really appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Dave Karp

Senior for sure

If I see a good deal on a lens going, and I really want the lens, I'll budget an $80 CLA from Grimes into the mix. On a couple I was a bit antsy on when I received them, an extra couple of weeks to SG and a happy lens back, makes for good vibes under the cloth...