Thread: new post search

Old School Wayne

new post search

when i do my personalized search for new posts only, even if I go away for a lot more more than 30 minutes afterwards, the next time I do the search all the same old posts show up, plus any newer new ones. The only way I get only new posts is if I use the "mark forums read" after each time I do the search, but that seems rather redundant. Am I missing something?

Wayne

Re: new post search

It depends on what the search parameters are. Post the link you're using and I can try to diagnose the problem.

Unless you actually read all of the previous posts (well, clicked on the thread link), Wayne, they'll still show up as unread for you. Naturally, marking all posts as read solves that problem.

make sure you have cookies turned on and you are logged in cos if you ain't then Vb doesn't know what's new for you...

Old School Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker
    Unless you actually read all of the previous posts (well, clicked on the thread link), Wayne, they'll still show up as unread for you. Naturally, marking all posts as read solves that problem.

Well thats the problem. They arent new anymore once I've seen them, and I dont want to see them again. Most forums I visit nuke them automatically once I see the list of new posts, without any other action required on my part. I guess I can learn to mark them read if I must, but it still seems redundant.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne_3861
    . . . Most forums I visit nuke them automatically once I see the list of new posts, without any other action required on my part. . . .
    I understand what you're saying, Wayne. But, the flip side of that coin is that others may not want the software to assume that once you've seen the index page(s) that the individual threads are no longer new. For example, on some "chatty" forums, I'll skim the index pages in an effort to prioritize which threads I read first. Then, I'll go back for a more thorough look if I have time. If the software then updates what it thinks I've seen, the second look isn't possible without sifting through all posts for some given time span.