Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: newbie from uk wanting LF Advice

Thumbs up newbie from uk wanting LF Advice

Hi,

i've been into photgraphy for a year now having never even picked a brownie, and have fell in love with it, had only tried digital until a couple of weeks ago i went on a workshop with Joe Cornish a very Good Landscape photographer from uk, he was using an ebony 45 i think it was called.

Having seen the quality and passion he had for the outdoors and landscape images he has produced I could completely empathise with him.

Please if someone has time and patience to give some advice on what i should be starting with i would really appreciate it, i know i need to get experience but feel the only way to get it, is to get up in them thar hills and coastal areas and living in one of the most beautiful places in theUK have lots to look at.

regards

Richie Hall

Re: newbie from uk wanting LF Advice

Hi Richie. If you click on the "LF Home Page" link in the menu bar, you'll find a series of articles that will help guide you through the LF decision process. Many of the issues involved vary based on individual objectives, preferences, etc., so there are really no universally-applicable answers.

Once you get started, you'll really see why we love this stuff. Enjoy the journey.
    Last edited by Ralph Barker; 19-May-2006 at 08:31.

Ralph has just given you the best advice, read the camera reviews on the first page of this site. There are many excellent cameras available used at a signifigant discount from their new price. I am not familiar with stores in the UK that offer used LF gear but I am sure that someone on this site can direct you. Ebay UK often has good deals, but it is best to buy your first camera from a shop unless someone can guide you in your bidding.

Good luck!

Thanks alot Ralph, Ron, nice to see someone give some good advice, read some other sites where new guys had asked for advice and they were brutalised , thought it was an american thing i was wrong, will take onboard what you have instructed and will read up alot then have a go. Cheers lads.

Richie,

The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step...

That said, I'd recommend you start off with something fairly basic and inexpensive in the way of a camera. As you play with the camera (and read and learn) you'll find things that you like and things you don't like about your camera. This is part of the learning process.

The Ebony is a beautifully made camera but will cost you an arm and leg. I'd suggest that you buy something more reasonable for the simple reason that LF might not be the be all, end all you're hoping it will be. Many people have tried LF photography only to find they prefer MF or some other format (35mm/pinhole, etc)

When I first got into LF from both MF and 35... I bought a camera via Ebay and fell in love with the entire process of shooting with one of these beauties. I've not looked back since! Like many of the others here on the forum... "the process" certainly has addictive properties!

Lastly, pick up a few books to study. I'd recommend the following:

1. Steve Simmons - Using The View Camera
    2. Jack Dykinga - Large Format Nature Photography
    3. Larry Stone - (Sorry, can't recall the exact title... but someone here will.)

Hope this helps.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Hallo

For what its worth, here is my experience with LF. About a year ago I manage to set up my darkroom and started printing my own B&W prints from 35mm. Doing my printing I was soon frustrated with 35 mm and I decided to jump straight into LF, looking back it has been a very good decision. I know shoot most things in 4x5 - I found it very usefull shooting one sheet at a time, it allows you to treat every negative on its own.

After a lot of reading I got a Crown Graflex from the States on "the auction site" for about £120. Though some might argue that it doesn't have all the movements etc of a proper view/field camera I'm enjoying mine immensely - they are quite lightweight and compact, durable ( esp. the bellows ).Mine has a 135mm Optar lens which after a CLA works flawlessly and is sharp enough if stopped down. The difference compared to 35mm when making larger prints ( esp 16x20 and up ) as obviously amazing and rewards all the effort & time and money. Even though i might move up to more traditional LF cameras later I'm quite sure I'll always enjoy using the Graflex esp since I can handheld with HP5+ rated at 800 !

If you do your own printing and do not yet have a enlarger big enough I will def. recommend looking out for a Durst 138 on online auction sites in the UK. Every once in a while they go for low to very low prices and are the most wonderful machines enlarging LF negs.

Enjoy!

Cheers
    Dawid

Photo Dilettante Donald Brewster's Avatar

Good advice above for starters. Not exactly in your neighborhood, but many of us on this speak highly of the LF photo dealer Robert White in Dorset. He carries both new and used equipment. Check out his website at: http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

I second the recommendations of the books by Jack Dykinga and Steve Simmons. If you like Joe Cornish's work, I would definately recommend his "Light and the Art of Landscape Photography"- a very inspiring read. Of course, the first place to start is on the lfphotography.info site and this forum- there's a wealth of information here that you couldn't get elsewhere! Enjoy your journey!
    Brian Vuillemenot

Jim Stone wrote the book User's Guide to the View Camera.

There are several free articles on the View Camera magazine site

www.viewcamera.com

and go to Free Articles section.. LOts of info.

steve simmons

I'm just getting into the whole LF thing and quite enjoying it - got me back into the darkroom processing film for the first time for ages.

I've done a lot of 35mm stuff before, picked up a Lubitel 166B for about a tenner 15 years ago and only got round to using it in anger a couple of years ago. Loved it, and several prints are on my wall despite the camera only really being good for up to about 12" square. So I wanted something to give good quality which meant MF or LF.

I spent a year looking at auction sites, reading articles etc before taking the plunge and getting a camera.
    Picked up a Calumet 400 camera and lenses for not very much (less than 100 quid), supplemented with another lens. Was kindly sent an old shutter by someone on this forum.

I had some shots in mind when I got the camera and went through a significant number of sheets of FP4 getting that one shot (a night shot of a steep, narrow but dead straight cobbled lane) and gettign familiar with the camera. Shot a few more B&W images, then went back to shoot some I had done with the MF and digital in E6.
    When I got them back I was gobsmacked. Absolutely fantastic to hold those 4x5" transparencies.

I tend to find shots with the pocket digital, then wait for the right weather, time of day and free time to coincide before committing to taking the crate of LF gear to the locations (I rapidly moved to Quickload after a bad experience with loading film holders which is more expensive but I find easier to use.) I'm prepared to spend some time setting up and taking a shot (one of the shots I realised I would need the camera on the top of the tripod so took a stepladder too. Another one I was on some rocks with a big tide so I had all my gear in a waterproof bucket and my wellies.. Preparation is the key. I like to know what and when the shot is so check directions, sun angles etc. There is one shot on my list that I intend to get in October, when the trees are the right colour. It needs to be shot in the early evening. Another will wait till spring when the top of the mountains has that dusting of snow but that one needs to be taken in early to mid morning.

And I'll soon be getting my hands on a scanner with which to get these images viewed/printed properly.

UK is a great place to photograph as the landscape is so varied and the history there goes back millenia. None of the landscape is natural - it is all manufactured so tells a story. It is unlocking that story or bringing the idea of that story to peoples minds which is what I like about a good landscape/environment photo.