Hi,

I'm new to LF and just got a Wisner 4x5 PE. After getting comfortable with basic movements, etc I took a couple of test shots last week. My exposure was just wh at I wanted, and at first glance focus seemed perfect too. Under my 8x loupe, ho wever, the image resolution was a lot softer than I expected. With Toyo 3.6x lou pe, the difference is not as noticeable.

My question: should I expect a lot softer LF images than I'm used to getting in 35mm and 6x7? I know that I can't expect it to be identical, but this is quite a lot softer. I compared to chromes from my Mamiya 7, and while its lenses *are* extremely good, there is simply no comparison in detail. I've never examined LF chromes "up close" before, so I have no other basis for comparison.

Equipment used: Wisner 4x5 PE with Fuji 300mm "C" lens, on Fuji Astia Quickload film in a new Quickload holder. These are shots in a local state park, of trees and lakeside, with much detail *available* in small twigs, reeds, etc. First sho t 1 sec @ f/32.5; second shot 1/2 sec @ f/45 (sun came out!). I focused VERY car efully using the Toyo loupe and darkcloth, and checked focus again after removin g the QL holder each time. I purposely took shots requiring only a small amount of tilt, in the interest of keeping it simple the first time.

Ron Wisner is strongly biased in favor of "loose" sheet film, and says that QL i s soft in comparison. So many of this forum's readers use QL, however, that I ca n't imagine the difference is that great.

Am I expecting too much, or do I have a technical problem? My first thought is t hat there may be a film plane problem i.e. correlation of the GG with QL holder. ..I'd be most appreciative of any advice offered...thanks!!